Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

4 minutes ago, Doorman said:

-Base -Snow Accumulation   (ATM)Screenshot_2022-01-28_13-37-37.png.2940f940be1de545f33956f8426f8a10.png

you can see a 4 inch swing on the- plus side - in range... with minimal track wobbles (west) (banding)

a foot for the metro looks solid 

use the link ...it updates every hour

https://digital.weather.gov/

dm

That pretty much reflects what I'm thinking with some possibly locally higher amounts NJ coast and east end.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Ding ding ding. We are right on schedule

i still do not believe the multi center idea

i think we see a classic nor’easter with a beautiful satellite presentation with an eye

and who ever gets the western deform band is still going to get historic numbers 

I usually would disregard the convection chasing to an extent but it already happened to the 1/9-10 storm this month. Even so it was a very nice event for most of us. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

i think we see a classic nor’easter with a beautiful satellite presentation with an eye

and who ever gets the western deform band is still going to get historic numbers 

Yup to this....except the part about "historic" numbers.  Historic in my book are in the top 5 totals of all time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

100 percent.  Been saying the same thing for almost 2 hours now... this has BEAUTIFUL presentation.  Getting black to my south.  Wind just started increasing 2knots/15min intvl.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nycsnow said:

Yeah any snow is great  but getting 6-10 inches knowing what our potential was a few hours ago is a fail 

Some winters, "it just wants to snow" (e.g., '93–94, '95–'96, '13–'14, '14–'15).  I don't think this is one of those winters, so I'll take whatever I can get.  6–10 inches is a respectable storm!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I usually would disregard the convection chasing to an extent but it already happened to the 1/9-10 storm this month. Even so it was a very nice event for most of us. 

This is a much much deeper storm. I think we get into the 960s which is no joke. Storms of that magnitude always have that almost extra tropical look.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eduardo said:

Some winters, "it just wants to snow" (e.g., '93–94, '95–'96, '13–'14, '14–'15).  I don't think this is one of those winters, so I'll take whatever I can get.  6–10 inches is a respectable storm!

That is very true ..no science to it.. just some years it finds a way to snow.

• Like 1

Just now, MJO812 said:

This will not melt by noon

and the storm isn't over yet, or (checking outside) hasn't even started. 

The remnants of Ida weren't projected to cause record flooding; if it's one thing I've learned the past couple of years is that these storms lately are rarely what we expect. Good or bad. 

• Like 1

It is kind of funny that you can predict just who will post based on what the models are showing. Not as much snow leads to one set of posters, more snow leads to others. The true winners are the one that practice meteorology over modelorogy. 

This is still a significant event for the majority of the subforum. Please don't downplay it just because you live west. There is still time before this begin and we have seen some dramatic shift both positive and negative as a storm starts to bomb. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

So 6 + makes people sad ? How much snow do we have so far this winter???

The thing is, the potential was really big. Maybe never that big for me (I'm in Rockland), but when the potential is large, there is a feeling of needing to get the fruition of it. There are only so many chances for 18+.

I will give you an analogy. Let's say you play the Mega Millions and the jackpot is 200 million. You hit all 5 numbers, and now you are waiting on the 6th one where the number is anywhere from 1 to 25. You miss that one and wind up collecting 7k. You cannot say to that guy or gal, " what's wrong with you, 7k makes you sad"? Once 200 million was in play, yes, 7k makes one sad. 

Now, apply that to these snowstorms. In a vacuum 6 inches is great, but, a lot depends on the potential and what that is/was.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KeithB said:

The thing is, the potential was really big. Maybe never that big for me (I'm in Rockland), but when the potential is large, there is a feeling of needing to get the fruition of it. There are only so many chances for 18+.

I will give you an analogy. Let's say you play the Mega Millions and the jackpot is 200 million. You hit all 5 numbers, and now you are waiting on the 6th one where the number is anywhere from 1 to 25. You miss that one and wind up collecting 7k. You cannot say to that guy or gal, " what's wrong with you, 7k makes you sad"? Once 200 million was in play, yes, 7k makes one sad. 

Now, apply that to these snowstorms. In a vacuum 6 inches is great, but, a lot depends on the potential and what that is/was.

Take a high level scientific statistics class, and I GUARANTEE you wouldn't be sad.  Numbers are static and involve no emotion.   (Mods, sorry...feel free to remove...back to the storm)

This coastal is just about to get going. By 1630, moods are going to change.  

21 minutes ago, nycsnow said:

Yeah any snow is great  but getting 6-10 inches knowing what our potential was a few hours ago is a fail 

Uh, the potential for more is still there and 6-10 locally give or take a little was always the forecast. There is no "fail" if the huge totals don't pan out unless you are a 6z nam hugger.

With all due respect, some of these comments are ridiculous. Storm hasn't even played out and there's still a ton of uncertainty in terms of where the best banding sets up etc.  Just chill and let it play out.