• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

Time for people to jump off the ledge again. Could be bad data, initialization, the double barrel making it chase the more east low which may not even exist. It's nowcast/shortrange time and let the pieces fall where they may.

The run to run swings are just not healthy lol, take a blend.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Juturna said:

Time for people to jump off the ledge again. Could be bad data, initialization, the double barrel making it chase the more east low which may not even exist. It's nowcast/shortrange time and let the pieces fall where they may.

The run to run swings are just not healthy lol, take a blend.

Watch that upper low tonight and see when it closes off.  The key! 

• Like 1

My morning update. I may need to lower southern New Jersey amounts pending 18Z and 00Z runs and observations/radar. Yes it's going to move to 100 miles e-se of Cape Cod per latest Euro. Moving into nowcasting mode. 

WX/PT

For the NYC Metro Region, the National Weather Service has upgraded our Winter Storm Watch to a Winter Storm Warning valid through Saturday. It will snow off and on all day today leaving a dusting to an inch of snow in spots as an arctic front passes southeastward across the region squeezing out the moisture in the atmosphere. Behind that front brutally cold north northeasterly winds will increase driving temperatures downward into the upper teens and lower 20s tonight. Meanwhile our storm is taking shape off the Florida coast as I write. It will move northward to offshore of the Carolinas tonight and from there northeastward to near Cape Cod by tomorrow afternoon. The main event gets underway tonight between 7-10PM as snow will overspread our area from south to north. It will be light at first but heavier snow bands will move into the region during the early morning hours Saturday dropping 1-2"/hour over the city and western LI and 2-4"/hour over Suffolk County where a Blizzard Warning is in effect. Winds will gust to near 60MPH during the storm causing white-outs and near blizzard conditions with blowing and drifting of snow and near zero visibilities especially over eastern LI and southeastern Ct. Thundersnow possible. Snow should taper off and end around 3-5PM Saturday. Amounts expected--NW New Jersey 3-6", Just NW of NYC and interior southern NJ including Rockland and Westchester oounties 4-8", NYC five boroughs 7-11", Western LI/Nassau western coastal CT 8-14", Southern Coastal New Jersey and western Suffolk Cty 12-18", The Twin Forks/East End of LI and Southeastern Ct 16-22". If you're thinking of escaping to Boston 18-24" there. Stay Safe!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nycwinter said:

the euro does not  have the credibility it once had..it is just as erratic as the other models..

Within this envelope, it isnt about the globals.  The >36hr point can be debated (for any given year, statistically.)   This storm looks great with presentation.  Unfortunately, every product I use is lagging.  

This run from the RAP just now is what we need regarding the double low. It emphasizes the west low and as a result it's broader and slightly west with heavy precip (run only goes to hour 21, so a number of hours of snow left after this run), it really doesn't need a shift east or west it needs to either consolidate the lows or at least emphasize the western one  and we should be in for a good surprise tomorrow.

image.thumb.png.96eed10b464b26c67ddcf59d222bbf3e.png

image.thumb.png.a217159b84476cc7b0b373b22a77b659.png

5 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

the euro does not  have the credibility it once had..it is just as erratic as the other models..

I wouldn't quite agree. There is more variability in all the models however the Euro had consistently indicated this storm would affect us while other models most notably the GFS did not. On one run the NAM was a complete miss. The fact that one location may get 6" instead of 9" or 11" doesn't make the model erratic. It's consistently shown the track close enough with the precipitation to be consistently affecting the same areas to a slightly greater/lesser degree. I'll take it. An accurate forecast can be made by it. The GFS? No. Add to that the fact that with a storm like this on the western side amounts drop off sharply. You got to take that into account. It's not the model, it's the nature of this kind of a storm.

WX/PT

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Ill say it again - we cannot write this off, nor should any one be. 

We are very close to a huge hit - still. I said before this will likely come down to nowcast, and it will.  

And with the sharp cutoff of precipitation, a 25-50 mile wiggle will make a huge difference. Models are used for guidance, with a  complex system such as this one, anything goes.

7 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

As long as the .50 qpf continues to stay up around Rockland county I feel secure this won't be a disaster.  We also know there is a good chance their is an unmodeled band on the western end of the precip.  

The most any model brings up to Rockland is 5 or 6 inches total at the very most, most are 4-5 inches. This includes all the new guidance (GFS, NAM 3K/12K, RGEM, HRDPS, CMC, Ukie, Euro, ICON). Honestly nothing has changed at all up this way since yesterday afternoon. This is an eastern Long Island and eastern New England snow blitz this time

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

Just because its solution isn't what you want?

Face it, even the Euro has had an eastern solution the entire week with the highest totals on LI and in NE the further east you go. This may be a realistic trend, or it may be an anomaly or a wobble. We'll find out later. But even in prior runs, this wasn't really looking like much of a NYC and points N&W storm.

Still has 1” liquid for my backyard and .75 in NYC which could be 9-12” with ratios, which could be a little over the 10-1. It’s disappointing but not a disaster. Hopefully it comes back west at 18 or 0z. At that point it’ll be nowcasting. I have no clue if this’ll be real or not but since models are keying on it it may be to some extent. Usually by now they’d be losing it. 

This double barrel/dumbbell low is broadening and somewhat shearing everything out and causing it not to close off/consolidate. The convection from the eastern dumbbell low is robbing our low of moisture as well/ruining the inflow. We obviously don’t want this sheared out whatsoever. It would be loltastic if this caused a problem for the second coastal system in a row here when I remember it being overplayed almost always before this year. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eduardo said:

In NYC trying to figure out if it's going to snow on Saturday like:

CoinFlip.webp

Bump :P

Be honest with yourselves, the model volatility is a big part of the fun and, in a setup like this, nobody knows with confidence how it's all gonna pan out.  Enjoy the ride and hope for the best!!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Given current OBS - Euro does not appear to be lining up. Unless I am just wishing here.. Can someone else confirm I am not crazy ?

Honestly, I think Don hit the nail on the head when he showed the ++AO stats and large snowfalls. 

I feel like more confluence would have allowed an earlier cleaner capture.

Not over but I guess the stats don't lie.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

My morning update. I may need to lower southern New Jersey amounts pending 18Z and 00Z runs and observations/radar. Yes it's going to move to 100 miles e-se of Cape Cod per latest Euro. Moving into nowcasting mode. 

WX/PT

For the NYC Metro Region, the National Weather Service has upgraded our Winter Storm Watch to a Winter Storm Warning valid through Saturday. It will snow off and on all day today leaving a dusting to an inch of snow in spots as an arctic front passes southeastward across the region squeezing out the moisture in the atmosphere. Behind that front brutally cold north northeasterly winds will increase driving temperatures downward into the upper teens and lower 20s tonight. Meanwhile our storm is taking shape off the Florida coast as I write. It will move northward to offshore of the Carolinas tonight and from there northeastward to near Cape Cod by tomorrow afternoon. The main event gets underway tonight between 7-10PM as snow will overspread our area from south to north. It will be light at first but heavier snow bands will move into the region during the early morning hours Saturday dropping 1-2"/hour over the city and western LI and 2-4"/hour over Suffolk County where a Blizzard Warning is in effect. Winds will gust to near 60MPH during the storm causing white-outs and near blizzard conditions with blowing and drifting of snow and near zero visibilities especially over eastern LI and southeastern Ct. Thundersnow possible. Snow should taper off and end around 3-5PM Saturday. Amounts expected--NW New Jersey 3-6", Just NW of NYC and interior southern NJ including Rockland and Westchester oounties 4-8", NYC five boroughs 7-11", Western LI/Nassau western coastal CT 8-14", Southern Coastal New Jersey and western Suffolk Cty 12-18", The Twin Forks/East End of LI and Southeastern Ct 16-22". If you're thinking of escaping to Boston 18-24" there. Stay Safe!!

Are you worried about subsidence on the NW fringe of precip shield? (I.E. Orange, Rockland, Passaic, Bergen)? I know many times the models underestimate the subsidence on the NW fringe. IMO we are going to see subsidence issues on the west side of the heavy banding but I’ll defer to you

• Like 1

Honestly, the Euro totals are pretty much in line with a lot of forecasts. I think too many people got sucked in by the 6z nam and started to expect historical totals just about everywhere when in reality, very few models were spitting out more than a foot west of Nassau. It's still a very delicate setup so at this point, it's about the mesos and nowcasting to see where the banding sets up. 

Honestly when you compare the 0z Euro to 12z, the precip amount in NYC is about the same. About 0.75 liquid for Central Park in both. For me it went from 1.2 or so to 1.0". The real ouch area seems to be in SNE where around Boston the precip was cut nearly in half. This dumbbell low outcome would hurt them most of all because the Fujiwara the lows have kinda shunts it east along with the poor upper air evolution it causes.