• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

As others have said, battle going on internally because of the double barrel lows.

Need the energy to consolidate into one large storm.

If that happens we will end up with something similar to what the 00z NAM had.

If this doesn't happen and we get an elongated duel surface low than the 12"+ amounts will be delegated to Suffolk County, North and East and the wind threat will be much lower.

8 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i have no idea. it's the make or break feature for 12+ in the metro

Based on historical president I just don’t see it happening that way. Every one of our classic super low pressure lows have had a single eye like feature

im still going to go with 12” for nyc 

18” Nassau

and somewhere in Suffolk sees 30”

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

As others have said, battle going on internally because of the double barrel lows.

Need the energy to consolidate into one large storm.

If that happens we will end up with something similar to what the 00z NAM had.

If this doesn't happen and we get an elongated duel surface low than the 12"+ amounts will be delegated to Suffolk County, North and East and the wind threat will be much lower.

Wouldn't that depend upon where the energy consolidates?

Just now, larrye said:

Wouldn't that depend upon where the energy consolidates?

It's a complex phase with multiple pieces and moving parts. The cleaner the phase the stronger the storm. It needs to come together perfectly for us to reach max potential. Boston and E LI has more wiggle room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Not true. Ukie, GFS shifted west and RAP...

Yea but Ukie was already far east and RAP is out of range. My post wasn't really a give up post but more the constant model shifting back and forth is exhausting. I could see this overperforming easily for NYC Metro but could also see it busting badly so it's basically nowcast time. 

Lurker on this thread (originally from College Point Queens) taking a short break on a busy day out here at NWS Chicago. Have been thinking that the snowfall distribution may end up somewhat similar to February 2013 and late January 2015 (hopefully a hair west of that one). The models have been consistent in depicting the 700 mb fronto bisecting Long Island. You'd expect the heavy snow band to set up just west of the modeled f-gen band on the cold side of the f-gen maxima.

In events like this with a lot of wind, one of the impediments to getting widespread Kuchera ratios (among multiple flaws with the methodology) is fracturing of the dendrites. Also you'll have some subsidence either side of the heaviest band. But then within that band, the Kuchera ratios should be attainable despite the wind. Assuming the mid-level fronto does intersect Long Island, would expect beefy totals under the band with 18"+ certainly possible, especially if residence time of the most intense banding can be maximized. Elsewhere you should have ratios at or a bit above climo (so figure 11-13:1) or so.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8

2 minutes ago, romba said:

6Z NAM EVERYBODY'S COMING WEST BABY followed by 12 Z suite maybe not

We're inside 24hrs. The Western and Eastern most outliers are coming together for the likely outcome. We still have a small shot at a substantial shift in either direction tonight.

1 hour ago, Sn0waddict said:

If I get Juno’d again I’m gonna have to think hard about whether this is a hobby I want to continue in my life lol

Very similar pattern.. honestly wouldn’t be surprised if we get shafted here in SW CT bc The pattern is so similar to that when Juno happened. Let’s see where the bands set up. Models are now pretty much useless at least all but the short range models and even those are stupid bc at that point it’s better to just look outside and look at the radar lol

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

We're inside 24hrs. The Western and Eastern most outliers are coming together for the likely outcome. We still have a small shot at a substantial shift in either direction tonight.

Yup, the double barrel feature might be legit at this point.

Just not certain why they're sending more aircraft recon for tonight's 0Z runs so late in the game....

4 minutes ago, romba said:

Just not certain why they're sending more aircraft recon for tonight's 0Z runs so late in the game....

Because the set up is incredibly fragile. 

A 1 hr difference in a vorticity is the entire ball game here for some folks. 

You are likely to see this bounce back W at 18z for the NAM. It is so incredibly delicate. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, romba said:

Because... the atmosphere and conditions are primed for extreme explosive growth over the next several hours.   This storm is likely to provide many surprises. (Both high and low busts in different regions) Many people are still working and may count the storm a bust if they see nothing when traveling home.  That is likely not to be the case... the models are pointless, mostly at this point... Real-time obs and data interpolation is.  What is scientifically gathered from this system is still useful in future events, even if it doesn't (it prob will) produce what you expect.  

Not trying to be rude.  That is the actual answer.  Research and data collection now, helps models and scientific interpolation and predictions later...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Because the set up is incredibly fragile. 

A 1 hr difference in a vorticity is the entire ball game here for some folks. 

You are likely to see this bounce back W at 18z for the NAM. It is so incredibly delicate. 

Thanks.  I work in oceanic sciences and the same is true on a different spacial and temporal scale.

• Like 2