Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

you dont need 12+ for a Blizzard Warning.  Technically speaking, JFK experiences some of the highest wind gusts on the island.  But besides that, I've seen most models depicting around 10 inches or so for JFK, there's a gradient between Central Park and JFK just like there was in December 2009 (where NYC had 10 inches and JFK had 15 inches.)

Just now, nycwinter said:

you do not need prodigious snow totals to qualify for a blizzard..

You need the heavy snow rates and strong winds...8" of snow falling over 18 hours wont get you 1/4 mile visibility. The heavy snow bands are still modeled to cut off at the suffolk nassau border.

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

You need the heavy snow rates and strong winds...8" of snow falling over 18 hours wont get you 1/4 mile visibility. The heavy snow bands are still modeled to cut off at the suffolk nassau border.

8" with blowing and drifting of snow actually will. I have seen blizzard warnings for 2-4" of snow. Once for 1-3".

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Euro, Nam, RGEM, CMC... all have decent chunk more than 8 inches falling in nassau county.

• Like 2

Just now, Blizzardo said:

It can be blue skys and still be in a blizzard... some folks dont understand.. 

True... lots of blizzard warnings in the upper midwest and great plains happen without snow falling from the sky. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jt17 said:

Euro, Nam, RGEM, CMC... all have decent chunk more than 8 inches falling in nassau county.

GFS also should have shown considerably more than it did given how it has 2 closed 500mb low contours SE of Long Island. I think that would be a foot easy from NYC east.

I think the whole Island should be good for 12+. NYC is on the bubble, I'd say 8-12" there-8" Bronx 12" Rockaway. Still need another west push.

8 hours ago, RU848789 said:

@wdrag@SnowGoose69@forkyfork  or anyone who might know: does anyone know whether the NWS uses ratios (Kuchera or other) in constructing their snowfall maps or if they just use 10:1?  With the latest NWS-Philly maps being so bullish, it makes me think they're factoring in something like 15:1 ratios, so 8-12" of 10:1 snow becomes 12-18" at 15:1, for the immediate coast, for example.  Thanks!

One more try: @wdrag@SnowGoose69@forkyfork  or anyone who might know?  Anyone?  Bueller?  

Just now, jm1220 said:

I would be too if I was you (I'm looking forward to it also but my odds are still a little less than yours IMO). You have a really good chance at seeing 20".

Your area (nw suffolk) usually does some of the best totals in any storm. Seems those bands always setup over smithtown/commack/Huntington/northport. My turn now ;)

6 minutes ago, justinj said:

Your area (nw suffolk) usually does some of the best totals in any storm. Seems those bands always setup over smithtown/commack/Huntington/northport. My turn now ;)

Who knows what'll happen. I'm sure there will be some kind of surprise with this. Often the west edge of the heavy QPF has a heavy deformation band. If I get 12-15" I'll be beyond happy. 

Just now, David-LI said:

someone do euro pbp

Better, less double barrel focus and it mainly chooses the left LP path. Precip field as depicted on pivot seems smaller, but the intense stuff goes out further, I.e I think a sharper cutoff 

• Like 1