Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

"Tucked" is such an ambiguous term.  Tucked into tje Jersey shore vs tucked in south of Montauk creates 2 total different outcomes in a storm (as you're well aware of).  The Euro and some of the eps members were tucked south of LI a few times.  

So true. I think of it as being tucked into the armpit between NJ and LI. But like you say it's relative to location of interest and also previous runs.

Funny thing is we use the SLP as a reference point for model shifts, but the SLP doesn't even generate precipitation. The track and evolution of lift and moisture (e.g, PVA and 700mb RH) determine precipitation. But we barely look at those other features.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eduggs said:

So true. I think of it as being tucked into the armpit between NJ and LI. But like you say it's relative to location of interest and also previous runs.

Funny thing is we use the SLP as a reference point for model shifts, but the SLP doesn't even generate precipitation. The track and evolution of lift and moisture (e.g, PVA and 700mb RH) determine precipitation. But we barely look at those other features.

I look at them lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Or over Sayreville, NJ like for Boxing Day 2010 lol. I'd still say the best chance for it is central/eastern Suffolk County but there'll be plenty of heavy snow west of it. 

The two highest on Boxing Day were Brick and Elizabeth, at opposite ends of the state, though Brick considers itself central NJ ( it's south as far as I'm concerned ). 

2 hours ago, Joe4alb said:

My father passed away this morning, and he was the inspiration that got me into weather. We used to sit and chat about every storm for hours. This storm is him saying goodbye. :cry:

I can’t tell you how sorry I am to hear that.  I know that you’ve been around these communities for a long time.  You’re in my thoughts, FWIW.  Wishing you all the best.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joe4alb said:

My father passed away this morning, and he was the inspiration that got me into weather. We used to sit and chat about every storm for hours. This storm is him saying goodbye. :cry:

Sorry to hear this. I hope he helps bring an amazing snowfall to you!!!

• Like 3

Just now, psv88 said:

Probably just Suffolk. All of Suffolk is locked in for 12+ on all models now. Nassau still on the bubble

you dont need 12+ for a Blizzard Warning.  Technically speaking, JFK experiences some of the highest wind gusts on the island.  But besides that, I've seen most models depicting around 10 inches or so for JFK, there's a gradient between Central Park and JFK just like there was in December 2009 (where NYC had 10 inches and JFK had 15 inches.)

• Like 5