Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

1 minute ago, Gravity Wave said:

I wonder how much further west we could get this to go. Even small shifts cause huge changes in snow totals.

Exactly what I just said.  I am extremely doubtful of any forecasts for this because of minute changes resulting in a huge difference....this could be a true nowcast event.

What is the average model error day of the event? 10 miles? That might be enough to cause a big difference in the final result.

2 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

I wonder how much further west we could get this to go. Even small shifts cause huge changes in snow totals.

West enough to where NYC gets a major hit. Relatively small changes needed to get it there. 

And it can happen in a pretty short timeframe. The 1/4/18 storm that first coined the "bomb cyclone" popular term was supposed to fringe NYC at best and clobber E LI and Boston until 36hrs out or even less. Central Park ended with 10" I believe and I ended up with 14-15" 25 miles east of NYC because of a relatively minor shift. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

West enough to where NYC gets a major hit. Relatively small changes needed to get it there. 

And it can happen in a pretty short timeframe. The 1/4/18 storm that first coined the "bomb cyclone" popular term was supposed to fringe NYC at best and clobber E LI and Boston until 36hrs out or even less. Central Park ended with 10" I believe and I ended up with 14-15" 25 miles east of NYC because of a relatively minor shift. 

yes a true nowcast event....we remember all the busts but there have been a few positive surprises too

8 minutes ago, eduggs said:

People jump the gun and get overexcited. But in fairness H5 was worthy of excitement considering previous runs even though the surface didn't work out very well.

Oh I agree, big improvements there which is all we can really ask for even if it's just the Nam. I was mostly just poking fun at all the BOOM comments.

Hell yeah so far with 0z! We live for another day... or at least another model cycle. The RGEM, NAM, and ICON confirm the threat is still legit. A convincing shift west from the GFS would confirm that we're still in the game for significant snow.

But will we bounce back east at 6z like a wobbling hurricane eye?

• Haha 2