Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

5 minutes ago, tek1972 said:

There was a legitimate chance. But should have just said that. A potential storm that would need to be watched. They immediately started saying huge winter storm . Once people hear huge it's over

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

You also can't have people preparing for this literally Friday. IMO we shouldn't project our disappointment on the fact that they started telling people about the storm's potential.

Very tough situation with the models split like that, unless their meteorologists were prepared to toss the Euro completely and commit to the GFS no way you can't bypass giving the millions of people that live here ample notice given the potential for a very, very potent storm.

I work in an area related to this, if they waited much longer and this pans out, it would be absolutely nightmarish on Friday.

8 minutes ago, Jt17 said:

That nam run wasn't included in its guidance. It came after 3:20. That being said the other mesoscale model with any legitimacy the rgem didn't fall apart like the nam at all. In fact the rgem was a little better than it's previous run. 

There discussion talked about the 18z nam and they were essentially discounting that outcome.  

Not saying they used that for there graphics. 

10 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

There discussion talked about the 18z nam and they were essentially discounting that outcome.  

Not saying they used that for there graphics. 

My bad. That's good to know. It did look ridiculous after all. 

2 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Maybe im misreading this but it looks like even the western end of the ensembles are still pretty far east? 

Sadly,  the western most tracks placements, hasn't budged from 00z, just a smudge east of bench mark,  I believe that the eastern side of guidance spread has increased unfortunately, and that is a little concerning...

It looks like we're pretty much cooked except maybe parts of LI. Bummer that guidance universally trended away from us. We're getting to the point where we would need major models errors just as we approach the short term when those errors become unlikely. Late phase and offshore low was the clear risk with a super fragile trof setup. 

Obviously with such a sensitive setup, this could always come roaring back. I was hoping we would at least stay within striking distance today so small shifts west would get it done. But now unfortunately we need pretty big shifts. The season of tracking frustration continues...

3 minutes ago, eduggs said:

It looks like we're pretty much cooked except maybe parts of LI. Bummer that guidance universally trended away from us. We're getting to the point where we would need major models errors just as we approach the short term when those errors become unlikely. Late phase and offshore low was the clear risk with a super fragile trof setup. 

Obviously with such a sensitive setup, this could always come roaring back. I was hoping we would at least stay within striking distance today so small shifts west would get it done. But now unfortunately we need pretty big shifts. The season of tracking frustration continues...

Big shifts at the surface are -in reality- very small shifts at H5. All is not lost. 

• Like 5

I think a major part of these snowstorms to people like us, is the unknown as to what you are going to get. I love the snow, but there is also a major component regarding the unknown amount and how it plays out. I think if weather technology ever got so great where you could enter your zip code within 5 days of an event and it told you how much snow you would get to the tenth of an inch, most of the fun and excitement would be gone. It's not just about the snow, it's probably mostly about the ride. :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

It's a very minor shift west. And the improvement is partially offset by a slightly shallower mean trof and worse upstream height field orientation.

Bleeding stopped, need the west trend to commence 

• Like 2