Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

Just now, jm1220 said:

It did much better with phasing in the southern stream. And that happens early in the run. The ridge position to me out west also tells me that it has room to come west. It’s really all about how progressive the trough is. The good phase puts a stop to it and bombs the low in a perfect spot. 

Yeah, that to me is the caveat here: where does it bomb out? Late and it scoots NE. 

4 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I will remind old timers about the EE rule.  When the Euro and ETA were in sync, it was deadly.  For the youngins and as a reminder, the ETA is now the NAM.

DT is the author of the EE rule, and also the weekend rule, which was uncanny for a long time how often they both worked out.

Voodoo?  Maybe.... 

Beat me to it. EE rule in effect!

17 minutes ago, wishcast_hater said:

I know we shouldn't put our trust in these maps this far out but this output is based on 10:1 ratio's, I am assuming this will be higher than that due to how cold the airmass is. No?

12-1  14-1   ratio is not a stretch -ATM

baroclinic instability

• Like 1

Just now, MJO812 said:

Yes it does

This won't be a situation where the QPF is overdone. The moisture coming into this storm will be absurd if the capture/partial stall really does happen. I definitely see 30" happening somewhere in a scenario like that. Of course if it's progressive and doesn't happen that'll be overstated.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Can't trust either the RGEM or NAM yet. Looking forward to hopefully an improvement on the GFS. Doesn't have to show a bomb quite yet but definitely want an improvement. 

Perhaps. But the NAM is in a good range for what happens 12 hours+ before the storm reaches our area. Those Dynamics are crucial to what happens in our area and the NAM showed them to be very favorable.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, weathermedic said:

I agree but remember the Boxing Day storm had good ratios and very strong winds but still managed to pile up.

I wasn't here for the January 2016 blizzard, but the Boxing Day Blizzard was amazing. One of my favorite all-time storms.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

This won't be a situation where the QPF is overdone. The moisture coming into this storm will be absurd if the capture/partial stall really does happen. I definitely see 30" happening somewhere in a scenario like that. Of course if it's progressive and doesn't happen that'll be overstated.

The question is where? To my "novice" eye, it looks way out east on LI or in NE.

7 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

I agree but remember the Boxing Day storm had good ratios and very strong winds but still managed to pile up.

The impact of wind on ratios is real.  We had 12" of sand on Boxing Day.  I'll have to go check my records, but the snow:water ratio was less than 10:1.  Of course we were east of the killer deform, but the winds were gusting frequently 50 - 60+ here.

• Like 3