Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

No, clearly said unhappy.

The Euro is the only model that brings the big totals West of the city.

What do you mean by big totals? I'm not unhappy with 10-12 and don't need the hassle of 20+....but 2-4 would be a bit of a letdown...I'm just west of SI, Middlesex County, not really a big snow area, especially with these east storms, that triangle of inner Raritan Bay its just a tad west for that kind of storm, but close enough to see something....again, this is days away and nothing would surprise me, even a complete whiff here...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Winds from Euro Control. OOF

winds.png

If the stall/capture happens in that spot yikes for us. But the consensus is still a good bit NE of there for it, closer to Cape Cod. My gut tells me it’ll take a lot of luck to spread the wealth well inland at least west of NYC but the Euro’s what you’d want to see for that to happen. Its tendency to over-amp these systems in recent years gives me some pause. 

• Like 1

For the NYC Metro Region for now though I'm not yet mentioning exact amounts in my official forecast, if the European model track holds and other models trend towards it I'm thinking of this as a 12-18" storm for NYC & points north/east/southern NJ, etc. Less as you go north and west. But if the track is a hair further to the left, you could bump this up another 6". If the track is a hair to the right you could bump this down 6-8". If the track becomes too tucked in, then you go 5-10" with mixing or temporary changeover issues. Again, not going official with these numbers yet. While an outlier, there is a history of these kinds of storms in this kind of winter slipping altogether out to our south and east leaving us high and dry and that possibility is still IMO not out of the question.

WX/PT

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I agree with people saying the Euro doesn't make a ton of sense. There are certainly outlier storms but it is rare for both Eastern LI and the HV to both get significant snow, however it seems to get there by tracking the low due north as opposed to NE and then closing off stopping WAA. We've already seen one storm do that this winter so it is possible.  

EURO still on the beam:      Look at the 30" Cape May wipe out or white out.     Anyone know what the single storm snow total record is for Cape May?      Just trying to judge if this run is legit based on history.      Maybe 1899 Blizzard?

1643479200-GClUf68Wb30.png

1643522400-RWUYDnebpOo.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

EURO still on the beam:      Look at the 30" Cape May wipe out or white out.     Anyone know what the single storm snow total record is for Cape May?      Just trying to judge if this run is legit based on history.      Maybe 1899 Blizzard?

1643479200-GClUf68Wb30.png

1643522400-RWUYDnebpOo.png

I believe that Cape May received 34 inches from the 1899 blizzard but I could be wrong.

34 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

This ain’t the fourth quarter. Maybe we’re getting close to halftime. “End of the beginning”? 

We have way too many battle scars from late shifts/fails on these to start calling it a win. And the other models largely still fringe NYC and have NW areas high and dry. Have to keep the trend going on the other models. 

Agree it's about halftime with a 17-10 lead or so for NYC and a bigger lead for LI.

EURO individual members for Central Park.

About as impressive as you can ask for at this juncture.

Makes a major fail seem unlikely.  Odds significantly raised this EURO cycle

for decent event into NYC metro.  Caveat.....ensembles can and do move so I'm not taking this to the bank at this point. 

Will be key once the energy tops the western ridge and gets into sounding network if EURO (or for that matter GFS/CMC) make any abrupt swings.

If EURO can hold tonight and then duplicate tomorrow will feel better.  CMC and GFS will then also have to start adjusting west.  I'm encourged by ensembles but no way is this a lock.

NYC EURO MEMBERS.jpeg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

I agree with people saying the Euro doesn't make a ton of sense. There are certainly outlier storms but it is rare for both Eastern LI and the HV to both get significant snow, however it seems to get there by tracking the low due north as opposed to NE and then closing off stopping WAA. We've already seen one storm do that this winter so it is possible.  

It's rare indeed. But possible in intense systems that are maxing out near our latitude. Because the rain snow line is drawn tight to the actual low center in those cases. This has that rare potential. 

Just now, Wxoutlooksblog said:

Nam is worthless until you're within 60 hours really. Even then, take it with a grain of salt.

WX/PT

This next two days are the worst part of the wait as we start overreacting to 60 to 84 hour NAM panels. At least one will show NYC getting 40" of snow; another will show a cutter to the Lakes.

• Like 5