Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

2 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Dont diminish seasonal precedent of trending east with a fast flow. Especially if it starts to show again

This is too far out to get excited

And it is certainly too far out to dismiss another out to sea possibility

Not the definition of insanity :) 

55 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2021/08/05/major-atlantic-current-may-be-on-the-verge-of-collapse-scientists-warn/?sh=42b0d96a47aa

The study, which appeared in the journal Nature Climate Change, found several signs that Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC), of which the Gulf Stream is a part, is slowing down and might be about to collapse.Aug 5, 2021

Interesting article, however it quite clearly says it’s a hypothesis. 

The additional tweets bluewave posted support the contention that the ssts do have an effect on storms; understood. But again based on the graph published this morning the ssts are 0.5 degrees above historical averages. 

My point is that there are more factors then sst anomaly’s involved in snow totals, etc. 

Not trying to derail the thread, but wanted to respond. 

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Dont diminish seasonal precedent of trending east with a fast flow. Especially if it starts to show again
This is too far out to get excited
And it is certainly too far out to dismiss another out to sea possibility
There seems to be a subforum opinion that we have to have a major snow this January. The pattern is too good.
Yet the pattern keeps proving hostile

fc7f23e8a30623625cfe93398d776d3c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

Big red flag. Euro has a tendency to hold back energy. Since the Euro doesn’t show it there’s good reason to discard the GFS run.

I’m pretty sure the “hold energy back” bias was fixed in its last upgrade but @bluewave would likely know better. It’s at least reason to be suspicious of the last GFS run but we have a few days to see what happens with all the different pieces. 

7 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Which makes the floor lower than the sub basement.

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I think the lowest it could go is zero. ;) 

Which everyone here should be prepared for if something like the GFS happens. 

We all know the lowest we can go with this is a complete collapse of the eastern seaboard into the Atlantic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, MJO812 said:

They all literally went with the models and said ots was a big concern yesterday. 

OTS IS STILL a big concern. I've loved the trends today prior to 18z. But the trof evolution is fraught with fail potential. If that shortwave moving through the SW doesn't round the bend, this misses east or is low impact. We've had no luck with timing issues this year. If the shortwave rounds too quickly, this probably bombs too early and we get mix or rain. But at this point that seems to be the lesser likelihood. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I’m pretty sure the “hold energy back” bias was fixed in its last upgrade but @bluewave would likely know better. It’s at least reason to be suspicious of the last GFS run but we have a few days to see what happens with all the different pieces. 

I have not seen the Euro do that much since the upgrade. 

I actually wrote this on another board 

The Euro used to always do this with holding  back southern stream energy while the GFS would just eject it. 

Seems this season has had the two models switch (I know... Upgrades, etc).

However, I wonder if the GFS has a bit of a bias here and the pattern shift could be ever so slightly stumping it. Just something to  ponder. 

Euro 18Z ensemble mean at 500 looks amazing only to be outdone by the control.  Both imply bombing sfc feature abreast of NJ coast heading vicinity ACK Saturday night.  PERHAPS a tad too late for interior NJ but control is 18-24" Jersey coast up through central/eastern LI, RI and into eastern Ma.  Ensemble mean is 8-12" over same area.  Strong signal this far out.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, eduggs said:

OTS IS STILL a big concern. I've loved the trends today prior to 18z. But the trof evolution is fraught with fail potential. If that shortwave moving through the SW doesn't round the bend, this misses east or is low impact. We've had no luck with timing issues this year. If the shortwave rounds too quickly, this probably bombs too early and we get mix or rain. But at this point that seems to be the lesser likelihood. 

You still worried about the euro being out to sea? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

61ef4c6c9b2fd.png

I've personally had it with storms that trend east and leave my area fringed while Ocean Monmouth and LI get the goods. Been this way a few years now. If this even comes to fruition. Seen it too many times and its frustrating. But then I'm only rarely in the bullseye. But, I also don't want to deal with over two feet of snow. 8-12 is good. We are days away and it hasn't been our year but we'll see. The comparisons being made are all to storms that left north central NJ on the light end. So I'm not expecting a huge hit even if this thing actually happens, which no one will know until the weekend in any case. Cheers and keep us posted.

Just now, LibertyBell said:

It's true, someone posted the verification scores of the GFS and the 6z and 18z consistently ranked as the lowest.

And with 18z there isn't that much to even examine. Really the only sort of dramatic shifts were the GFS, Euro largely the same, some lesser models like Icon for example trended west, etc. really not much has happened today lol, just 1000s of anxiety filled messages across a few subforums.