Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

very high Atlantic SST provides the fuel, which the combo of arctic air and the low ignite.....this is the result.

Feb 2013 is a case in point, with ridiculous 3 feet plus totals across Long Island and CT.

Or when Binghamton got 40 plus?  Lol. I always wondered what it would be like if we got one of those 5-6" monsoons in the summer... during the winter...lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Blizzardo said:

Or when Binghamton got 40 plus?  Lol. I always wondered what it would be like if we got one of those 5-6" monsoons in the summer... during the winter...lol

Yeah that was just last year....around this time!  Those 40" plus totals had a pretty wide coverage too-- I think some got near 50"

2 minutes ago, nyrangers1022 said:

I hope my area gets fringed with 3-6 inches.  And areas southeast and north east get smoked just to give most people their storm.  I'll take that, with a Saturday "taxpayers" storm is what we call it.  Easy 15 hours OT 

there's been "storms" here where plows are scraping wet roads, sparks flying   LOL

6 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Gfs is within the ensemble spread. Just another solution which is still totally possible currently. Not much else to take away from it really. 

Agree, and what we just saw from the 18z GFS is the most likely “bad” outcome for our area, not a runner/cutter. This one is either a big hit or too far east and an eastern New England hit, I don’t care what the twitterologists are saying, this one isn’t a hugger, runner or cutter, the flow is too fast and any PNA correction is going to push it further offshore with the resulting downstream trough adjustment 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

there's been "storms" here where plows are scraping wet roads, sparks flying   LOL

Haha no.  We don't have a plow down rule like NYS does.  We can run salt without plows.   My 10foot Boss V plow is $1200 for a blade, and they last maybe 3 storms.  

Re: SST anomaly, the chart bluewave posted this morning showed 0.5C above historical norms. According to NOAA the bouy for Cape May had 36.7 F and Sandy Hook 34.9F today (too lazy to do conversions). 

Not sure it has the same effect as 24C+ water in the late summer when dealing with tropical systems in terms of “fuel”. Granted I will take any infusion of moisture possible being in the western zone. 

11 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

Re: SST anomaly, the chart bluewave posted this morning showed 0.5C above historical norms. According to NOAA the bouy for Cape May had 36.7 F and Sandy Hook 34.9F today (too lazy to do conversions). 

Not sure it has the same effect as 24C+ water in the late summer when dealing with tropical systems in terms of “fuel”. Granted I will take any infusion of moisture possible being in the western zone. 

It matters if it's the gulf stream is warmer than normal, I'm not sure the near coastal waters have much to do with it.  Slowing down of the gulf stream and the thermohaline circulation matters too.

13 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It matters if it's the gulf stream is warmer than normal, I'm not sure the near coastal waters have much to do with it.  Slowing down of the gulf stream and the thermohaline circulation matters too.

What evidence is there that the Gulf Stream is slowing down?

I just think the sst anomaly is being given too much weight in the potential to increase snow totals when compared to a multitude of other factors. 

3 minutes ago, Torch said:

This is not history, what did or didn’t happen up to now has no bearing on Saturday’s outcome.

Its called leaving the door open to lesser amounts then some of Mondays models are advertising - a lot of people here are setting themselves up for  major disappointment because of 1 days worth runs showing heavy amounts with 4 days still to go ........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Geese everybody. Step off the ledge. 

Could this miss us? Yes. But anyone whose been following should know that by now. 

You have three pieces of energy and no blocking whatsoever. Models are going to change. 

Sit back and hold tight. There is the potential for nothing to historic. It unfortunately is a wait and see. 

Side note : this is why historic storms are just that: historic. They are rare.

Not saying it won't happen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2