Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

18 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Just read Mt. Holly's take. Thought it was a really good breakdown of the situation as it stands. Worth a read, especially the first paragraph. 

In the long term, all eyes are on the end of the week as a potential
storm takes shape off the US East Coast. The Arctic high pressure
from midweek remains in control through Thursday. From there, the
range of possible outcomes diverges wildly. With strong ridging
present in the West, a deep trough will dig into the Southeast, with
a strong shortwave embedded within the base. This trough will
gradually tilt from positive to neutral or negative as it moves
towards the Southeast coast. This will spur offshore cyclogenesis,
with its strength and placement dependent on how fast the trough
begins to tilt negative. In addition, the developing storm appears
likely to eventually phase with a northern stream shortwave dropping
out of Canada, which would yield further intensification as it moves
north or northeast. The track of this developing low will then
determine potential impacts for the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.

Based on the potent nature of the shortwaves involved and with
unusually strong baroclinicity likely to be present, this has the
potential to be a strong storm. Certainly cannot ignore the number
of various ensemble system members and occasional deterministic runs
showing sub-970mb cyclones along or within striking distance of the
Northeast and mid-Atlantic coasts. At this early stage, a multi-
cycle consensus of model guidance favors a glancing blow for our
region, with potentially greater impacts towards New England or
Atlantic Canada. However, this system does have some of the
hallmarks of previous high impact storms where medium range models
displayed a right of track (ROT) bias. And ensemble spread has
generally been favoring the left side of the means and deterministic
runs. So we are definitely not out of the woods, but we also have
several days to watch this, and it will likely be some time before
we can definitively say whether there will be any impacts locally.

Definitely not out of the woods...sounds like they think we probably are gonna dodge this, but hey ya never know.....

22 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Delicate for sure. To get a major snowstorm this weekend will be the definition of a thread the needle to say the least. If I had to guess I think this becomes an eastern Long Island, eastern New England event. Everything would have to come together absolutely perfect to give DC - BOS a major snowstorm, the setup (+AO, +NAO, no 50/50 low, ripping fast flow) is not a good one. The +PNA and WAR need to be just perfect in tandem with each other to avoid this going OTS

The WAR will substitute the poor Atlantic blocking. PNA ridge out west is my biggest concern. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Definitely not out of the woods...sounds like they think we probably are gonna dodge this, but hey ya never know.....

I took it that current guidance favors NE, but historical model bias (and current trends) suggests we're still very much in the game, and even compared to other major events. 

Not bad at this point IMO. 

The set up is clearly extremely delicate however, and it's really tough to start feeling excitement knowing how easily / quickly this could crumble. 

1 minute ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I took it that current guidance favors NE, but historical model bias suggests we're still very much in the game, and even compared to other major events. 

Not bad at this point IMO. 

Generally those storms to the east fringe my area, but sometimes if big enough can still deliver 4-8, which is a win in this kind of winter. This set up from what I am seeing with my limited understanding does not generally favor the upper central area of NJ.

47 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Absolutely, I would start getting comfortable after the 12z runs Thursday. For now it’s sit back and see what evolves till then. :popcorn:

The models haven't been that bad this winter, I think by 12Z Wed we can have some confidence but sure nothing is comfortable until the storm arrives lol. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

I think OTS is the bigger threat than rain still but this doesn't feel like either of the last two threats. In other words it feels there are still many options on the table and I am not sure whether to be more scared of an east or west trend at this point. 

I wouldn’t be “scared” of anything yet, way too early. But any outcome is really possible here. I guess the hugger/inland scenario is a little less likely because of the trough orientation but that can’t be ruled out either if the storm bombs like crazy early on. We really have a couple more days before we can start to hone in on the outcome. But it’s high risk/high reward for sure. If it comes together right this will be a big time event with the amount of energy to work with along with the warm Atlantic relatively unscathed due to the lack of nor’easters so far this winter. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gravity Wave said:

The timing of the phase and the axis tilt is really key. Had the latter happened a tad earlier on the GFS we go from MECS to HECS.

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent number of ensemble members to show something like that. Lots of sub-970 lows popping up on the ensembles 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I wouldn’t be “scared” of anything yet, way too early. But any outcome is really possible here. I guess the hugger/inland scenario is a little less likely because of the trough orientation but that can’t be ruled out either if the storm bombs like crazy early on. We really have a couple more days before we can start to hone in on the outcome. But it’s high risk/high reward for sure. If it comes together right this will be a big time event with the amount of energy to work with along with the warm Atlantic relatively unscathed due to the lack of nor’easters so far this winter. 

I mean being scared of a weather outcome I get is a bit extreme but I more meant I don't know which way I prefer this trending. It is still kind of early but now we are inside 5 days where things start to get a bit more serious and the models have been promising enough since 0Z last night that I feel if it ends up with a big shift there will be lot of dissapointment.   

I agree with what one of the Mets posted in the MA forum last night.  This evolution is similar to 2/4/95 but as of now furthest east.  The overall setup though most resembles that of any storm I can remember and there is some minor similarity to December 2010 but this is going to be a much faster mover than that