Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

14 minutes ago, eduggs said:

I would urge caution with the GEFS. For last weekends inland runner, the GFS was consistently the extreme western outlier against every single GEFS member for run after run at this range. The GEFS failed to signal the correct outcome in this case. I think we need to see the GFS and the Euro make meaningful shifts towards an impactful storm to have any confidence. Right now they are not close.

Agree totally.

23 minutes ago, eduggs said:

I would urge caution with the GEFS. For last weekends inland runner, the GFS was consistently the extreme western outlier against every single GEFS member for run after run at this range. The GEFS failed to signal the correct outcome in this case. I think we need to see the GFS and the Euro make meaningful shifts towards an impactful storm to have any confidence. Right now they are not close.

I would bet big money on it being wide right once again. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, eduggs said:

A storm in early January has no bearing on the likelihood of a storm in February or March. Their probabilities are almost completely independent. Major snowstorms are always unlikely, by definition. But there's probably at least a 1 in 4 chance. And >4" snows can happen in almost any kind of background weather pattern.

It's not that, it's purely statistical based on how rare double digit snowstorms are in a hostile pattern.   And where I live double digit snowstorms no longer happen in March.   I would say that from now until the end of the season the chance of a 10 inch snowstorm are less than 10 percent.  6 inches?  Maybe 25 percent

4-6 inch storms are a different beast altogether and can happen in any pattern.  It's why I specifically referred to double digit snowstorms as being extremely unlikely, not the smaller ones.

35 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

because of what majority of guidance is currently advertising - so you must think we are getting a snowstorm next weekend.........

No I'm following the models along with others. Earthlight  thinks we should watch this carefully because what the ensembles are showing. 

Can this miss ? Sure but it's way too early to say anything.

All we can do is track

44 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It's not that, it's purely statistical based on how rare double digit snowstorms are in a hostile pattern.   And where I live double digit snowstorms no longer happen in March.   I would say that from now until the end of the season the chance of a 10 inch snowstorm are less than 10 percent.  6 inches?  Maybe 25 percent

4-6 inch storms are a different beast altogether and can happen in any pattern.  It's why I specifically referred to double digit snowstorms as being extremely unlikely, not the smaller ones.

We had an 18” storm only a few years ago in suffolk, march 2018. Did western Nassau get shafted in that one?

Will be interesting to see how this ensembles vs ops theory works for this one. This time the tables are reversed with ensembles more amplified. Personally, I'll take ensembles all day long at this range. However, yes, ops do need to come around soon as well. What's the sample size of this speculation? Is it just the one storm this year, or are there many other instances?

• Like 2