• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

Just now, powderfreak said:

Maybe not at this lead time.  But from yesterday to today, that’s pretty sizeable but you are totally right.  It’s probably not that big a deal at this time frame.  It’s not like 36 hours out.

Yeah, qpf increasing each run is expected with ensemble means this far out because its slowly dropping off members that are way off the grid, plus just that it's still 5 away days. I thought the 0z mean didnt look bad either. There are more west members at 6z though.

• Like 1

This wave has huge importance to this storm (don't hate my photo editing skills). The 6z eps/euro/control actually pushed the main wave farther west towards four corners, but this second shortwave drops down and helps ignite everything. The control is an example of what could go wrong with a late phase. It still is a decent run verbatim.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-conus-vort500_z500-3371200.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

D4811C58-E07B-469B-85FA-6BA4056C2851.png

If we are being honest with ourselves and said, if we were model developers, what would we want an ensemble mean to look like at 132 hours for a storm that verifies over or just inside the benchmark...that has to be pretty close to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Lmfao. Land the damn plane already! That is insane all the sub 970mb lows on the mean. Hell, there's even some sub 960mbs scattered all over the place. KU 'potential' with this one for sure 

I'm fine with it going over my head, if it's going to be a sub 950 low.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

If we are being honest with ourselves and said, if we were model developers, what would we want an ensemble mean to look like at 132 hours for a storm that verifies over or just inside the benchmark...that has to be pretty close to it.

Yeah it's pretty nice.....but if I was being perfect, for a storm this deep and this sharply stem-winding at 5+ days out, I'd want to see it a little east with fewer western inland runners. There's a clear skew west there.

• Like 2

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it's pretty nice.....but if I was being perfect, for a storm this deep and this sharply stem-winding at 5+ days out, I'd want to see it a little east with fewer western inland runners. There's a clear skew west there.

If you were a model developer, you would want the model to account for that bias. Please let me live in my fantasy world where perfect is good.

• Haha 1

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...
  • dendrite unpinned this topic