• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

Just now, IowaStorm05 said:

Guys, when you get a 20 inch snowfall in these conditions, what kind of drifting can I expect at 230' elevation here?

The parking lot in front of our building is literally a crescent-shaped bowl below the main road, within the shallow canyon. Snow has seemingly maxed out in the lot before. 

how does elevation have anything to do with it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Guys, when you get a 20 inch snowfall in these conditions, what kind of drifting can I expect at 230' elevation here?

The parking lot in front of our building is literally a crescent-shaped bowl below the main road, within the shallow canyon. Snow has seemingly maxed out in the lot before. 

Run out and buy a snorkeler just to be safe.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Why would elevation matter

In the 1888 blizzard, people got a daily weather forecast from their newspaper. It might come out around 3-4 p.m. with a forecast sent to NYC from DC by telegraph.

So I looked into the situation. On Saturday March 10 the forecast for Sunday (NYC) said something like rain turning to snow, colder.

On Sunday March 11th the paper had no forecast. The news reports said something about telegraph lines down between DC and New York due to a storm (DC had 10-12 inches from the blizzard). 

The storm hit in full force on the night of 11th-12th and raged away all day Monday 12th and into part of Tuesday 13th, 17 inches fell in the city and as you know 30-50 inches over large parts of the Hudson valley and western New England. 

So in that case, people had some idea that snow was coming and beyond that, no information, complicated by the rare non-appearance of their forecast from the head office. This led to the situation of regional offices in places like New York and Boston. 

When it comes to times before the telegraph and the infant version of the NWS (the weather bureau), I guess people went with natural signs like a halo around the moon presaging a storm. But from what I've read about the famous "Washington-Jefferson" 30 inch snowfall in Virginia in Jan 1772, even such intelligent people as two of the first presidents had no idea it was coming, both were forced to make alternate plans on routine business journeys and could not reach their homes as planned for days, or without considerable difficulty. Accounts of the big hurricane force windstorm in Ireland in 1839 make it fairly clear that nobody was remotely prepared for such an event there. And the journal of Alexis Caldwell at Providence RI seldom gives any clue as to his state of preparedness for the coming day's weather (his journal runs from 1831 to 1860) although having read much of it I never encountered any expressions of surprise except perhaps for the night that his 7 inch rain gauge overflowed. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

how does elevation have anything to do with it

Excuse me for not being more detailed, but on a micro scale elevation affects wind speeds. In my case, it is a shallow canyon that is oriented at a river that runs west to east, surrounded by higher ground on either N/S side, and sometimes it causes our property to jack.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I was a senior at BC for the Jan 2005 blizzard with drifting to 5 ft blocking the front of our dorm in the morning. Plenty of cars on Comm Ave turned into snow blobs.

For Nemo I lived in JP and we had 4 ft+ drifts.

If you get 20+ with these winds the drifts will be solid

Edit: these are all at close to sea level so quadruple amounts for your elevation as others have noted. 

/s

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Excuse me for not being more detailed, but on a micro scale elevation affects wind speeds. In my case, it is a shallow canyon that is oriented at a river that runs west to east, surrounded by higher ground on either N/S side, and sometimes it causes our property to jack.

20” of snow could yield 4-6’ drifts.

• Like 2