• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yet both still managed to split Tolland in half . I wish you guys were familiar with this area. It doesn’t happen like that lol. But it’s a good map IMO

It's not like half of tolland is going to get 6-12" and the other half will get 12-20". It doesnt work like that either. It's there to show a transition between ranges. The line also cuts through north haven and a lot of other towns in the NE. The line has to be somewhere and wouldn't look right if it followed town outlines. I just think its more noticeable because we have all the towns on the map itself. Snowfall maps rarely work out to be 100% perfect for every specific town, its there to show the general idea, which i think is about the same as our first call with a more SW to NE tilt.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This is honest question.. in storms like this.. shouldn’t past big boys similar in scope be factored in quite a bit vs just looking at models and calling them trash and then lowering numbers ? To me .. H7 and H5 and experience tell me to stay the course 

Sure, but that means you have to factor in all the upper air patterns that match and by no means are the analogs a lock on widespread heavy snowfall. 

2022-01-28_17-33-45.png

What these tell me is that the coast looks pretty locked in, even the bad ones still caught the coast with decent snow. But there are also a couple complete whiffs in there. I don't think that happens obviously, but it goes to show you that this type of upper air pattern can produce many different results.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mattm4242 said:

I can’t imagine Harvey would keep hyping it up if he didn’t genuinely believe it, same for all the other local mets.

But the trend seems hard to ignore.

If he’s still in, I’m still in. Models are easy to ignore when the obs suggest they are wrong (at least the QPF outputs and snow maps, the 500 mb looks better).

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I've been thinking that.

Granted for storms that have no chance of slipping out to sea, the SSTAs will obviously be a positive factor in terms of intensification, but that might not be the case for borderline events or those that suddenly have double low configs.

29 minutes ago, mostman said:

Inside 12 hours until formation and BOX is straight up tossing the models. Bold. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. 

Every forecast office up and down the coast is holding tight or shifting gradients slightly west.  Time to stop looking at models and start looking at actual satellite and radar imagery.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

Yeah, what are these meta seeing that's increasing their confidence? Both BOX and Harvey and Bouchard

It feels like they all called each other up said screw the models trends. Seems more like Wishcasting but I know it's not they must know something with all their combined years doing this. I feel they are doing this for public safety reasons just incase. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

I am certainly not a pro met, but it would seem upping totals at this stage is simply not supported by guidance.

A forecast needs to be issued. Some of the stuff came in while they were probably issuing the forecast. For newscasters, they will have another model cycle before 11 pm to look at, as well as Radar and satellite.

They will probably issue updated forecasts this evening if trends continue and actual weather conditions warrant it.

4 minutes ago, WxFreak11 said:

Are there any other models that NWS uses that we don’t have access to? Trying figure out why they are still gung ho with the forecast when recent model trends are looking bad. 

Probably just lag.  We have no lag here in these weather boards.  Ink on the model run is not even dry and we are either rigid or suicidal instantly.  They have to take time to digest the runs and prepare a product that goes through some sort of review process before it goes out to the public (I assume?).  That all takes time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dan11295 said:

I am certainly not a pro met, but it would seem upping totals at this stage is simply not supported by guidance.

Guidance supports more than the QPF maps indicate. I’m no met either, but from what I have read the surface is also not supported by obs, the low is more west and is deepening more than expected. I mean look at this, the 12z euro which is “bad” qpf wise has 3 CLOSED CONTOURS off the cape. Bernie Rayno said on his livestream that a good rule of thumb is 1 foot of snow for each closed contour. It starts closing off south of Long Island and continues to deepen. 

image.thumb.png.35f46c09718f692a56e28c8beca0ae80.png

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

It's not like half of tolland is going to get 6-12" and the other half will get 12-20". It doesnt work like that either. It's there to show a transition between ranges. The line also cuts through north haven and a lot of other towns in the NE. The line has to be somewhere and wouldn't look right if it followed town outlines. I just think its more noticeable because we have all the towns on the map itself. Snowfall maps rarely work out to be 100% perfect for every specific town, its there to show the general idea, which i think is about the same as our first call with a more SW to NE tilt.

No I get it. But strictly from a topographic view .. if you’re draining maps and lines.. From South Windsor up thru the western half of Ellington up to western half of Somers is a much better line . Somers has Soapstone Mtn and Ellington has elevation thst borders Tolland on the E side . But if you drive over Soapstone at 1k which is like 6 minutes from me down into the center of Somers you are in the valley . 

• Like 1

Just looking at midlevels, it seems like if an eastern mesoscale low doesn't form, everyone west of the river just competely pounds. We can see that in the name, which would have been a completely crunching if not for a 6 hour periods of chasing convection. My question is, and maybe it's a dumb question: what about the upper air would suggest that the western low regains primacy after the eastern low has been favored? Especially when before the eastern low was favored in the first place, our LP was further west. It seems like an intra-run 6 hour hiccup, but all the models seem to show it to varying degrees. Why?

• Like 2