• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

Just now, Swiscaster said:

I just saw 24-36” on Fox News (commence flaming) but then I come in here and it’s all gloom and doom. I’ve been thinking about chasing to Boston but is that not gonna verify for them now or something?

It will likely verify but a lot of posters here are farther west. In eastern mass we are good for 2ft even on the more east models.

• Thanks 1

Are we close enough now for red taggers to choose which models initialized well and at hour 6 are closest to actual conditions?  I understand storms over a warmer than normal Atlantic may pull the surface low Eastward, but so far, in the battle of the 12Z models, which is closest at 12Z and 18Z?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

A NCAR employee saying that the grid resolution of the model that beats the US's own nwp month after month after month shouldn't be used is kind of rich, tbh.

I should've been more explicit with that prompt. My bad!

That was a comment for the WRF modeling system,  but the "convective grey zone" is a problem for all modeling systems really. The Met Office acknowledges it too - https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/approach/collaboration/grey-zone-project/index

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Swiscaster said:

I just saw 24-36” for Boston on Fox News (commence flaming) but then I come in here and it’s all gloom and doom. I’ve been thinking about chasing to Boston but is that not gonna verify for them now or something?

Boston is still one of the best spots to be, South Shore MA an even better spot. As others have noted, it's likely going to come down to nowcasting mesoscale features to determine whether this is a 12-18" event in eastern areas or if the more outrageous high end totals will be in the cards. If you're going to chase in Eastern MA you're going to get a good snowstorm regardless, but something historic isn't locked in at all IMO. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Really bizarre to see the surface low waaaaay out of the benchmark and the 700mb low tucked so close to the coast.

Not really sure what to make of it.

hrrr-conus-ne-z700_speed-3464800.png

hrrr-conus-ne-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-3464800.png

You know this obviously ...but it appears that outward ejected low is entirely convective driven.. .Maybe just add that the antecedent fast mid level flow exiting the coast assisting evac?   Like it's interpreting that as the cyclogen domain space..

blah blah, but barring some exotic explanation, that above really does strain believability - all this potential just blows up into fractured elements like this.  700mb displacing here... premature lows half way to England..  Snark but just sayn'.  ha, maybe the storm got too powerful ...like a battery over-volt explodes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, msg112469 said:

Boston is going wind up with a #1 all time snowfall from this and people are ready to jump off a bridge because the NAM isn't printing 35-40" anymore. That was expected BTW. You people are out of your minds.

What do you mean by “you people”?

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sad we can't move the blob under LI and hoist it to the NW by 50-100 miles

You may be able to, ha.  That's what I was looking at... move that north by 50 miles and CT is smoked.

As it is that run is 12-20" from like Dryslot to ORH to BDL down to SW CT.  I'm assuming 1" of QPF would register 14" of snow or so.