• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

If the low elongates too much, then it ends up robbing us of some WCB precip....that's why some of the solutions are more tame. But some guidance is grabbing the low quick enough and dragging that WCB back into the cold side and forming a monster CCB....even the GFS is able to partially do it this run which is why E MA gets annihilated.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If the low elongates too much, then it ends up robbing us of some WCB precip....that's why some of the solutions are more tame. But some guidance is grabbing the low quick enough and dragging that WCB back into the cold side and forming a monster CCB....even the GFS is able to partially do it this run which is why E MA gets annihilated.

GFS deforms from about Taunton back to 495.

• Like 1

We're kinda' in a "gray area" for NWP at the moment - 

A little too early to completely rely on fine scale models like the HRRR, NAM 3km, and HRDPS (to name a few) & a little too late for the global modeling systems (ECMWF, GFS, CMC, etc...).

I mentioned it last event, but I'll repeat it again: Finer scale modeling systems (less than, say, 4km) can explicitly resolve convective processes. Courser models need parameterizations, or approximations, to resolve such processes. In between that, you have models that can partially diagnose convection, but may require convective parameterizations (~10 km - RGEM). These in-between modeling systems may give you odd-looking results. 

That written, it's clear that at some point, we need to put more weight into the mesoscale models somewhat soon since convective processes will be important as the disturbances rapidly intensify over the Atlantic. In my opinion, if the dual low/structure is around by 00 UTC tonight (by the mesos), I'll begin to take the dual low/structure seriously even if the global models do not.

Why at 00 UTC? The PBL is more predictable (yea, I know it's January) and easier to assimilate into NWP at night along the east coast vs. during the day. 00 UTC cycles reduce uncertainty (I'm also aware of statistics for the 00/06/12/18 UTC cycles) in my opinion for that reason.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

GFS coming around, better h5 and h7 look. elongated, smilongated....whatever. Narcan looks like Feb13 and that's the only thing that matters. 

I'd actually be okay with 2' over 3' if it means you grab a foot...I don't need absolute jack, though its nice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1