• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

Just now, PhineasC said:

Only 12k NAM and Euro show this as some bombed-out HECS monster. GGEM/GFS/ICON/3k NAM/RGEM all show something fairly "standard." Still a nice storm but not something that will be endlessly referenced here for years to come.

Some of the big ones have been called by a Euro/Nam combo.

• Like 2

I think Central/E Connecticut is going to get a historic dump. Hartford is going to be crippled, and my workplace is gonna be closed Saturday if not longer. The magnitude of this storm is simply going to shut down the east coast and it is going to kill people, but not as many people as the number that would die in routine car accidents if there was no storm so it offsets it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I haven't been paying attention to the temps, but just realized that this could be heavy snow at zero or below here? That's nuts. Never experienced that in my life.

In late January 1982 I was in Lyndonville, VT for a college XC ski race. We knew a storm was coming though it was hellaciously cold ahead of it, and when we woke up that morning it was -10F and snowing really hard outside. Did my race (which was a real pain given the conditions), and then we all piled into our coaches Subaru and headed back to Boston. Went through heavy snow and eventually ice, but somehow made it safely back to Boston.

One of the reasons I remember this so clearly is that when I got back to my dorm I heard that a plane had just slid off the runway at Logan, killing two passengers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I think Central/E Connecticut is going to get a historic dump. Hartford is going to be crippled, and my workplace is gonna be closed Saturday if not longer. The magnitude of this storm is simply going to shut down the east coast and it is going to kill people, but not as many people as the number that would die in routine car accidents if there was no storm so it offsets it.

I mean really?  This isn't Virginia

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Only 12k NAM and Euro show this as some bombed-out HECS monster. GGEM/GFS/ICON/3k NAM/RGEM all show something fairly "standard." Still a nice storm but not something that will be endlessly referenced here for years to come.

Actually, it's the 12K 00Z and to a lesser extent 18Z Euro show this. We'll see what the 00Z Euro says at 1 AM this morning.

7 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Yeah always great to see Harv fired up, classic.

0z NAM verbatim might have a chunk of 17-19" deep in his 24"+ zone, and would also warrant expanding the 18-24 zone farther west... he did neither.

Appropriately not flinching to that single piece of guidance.

I wouldn't either right now....my forum nerves do not constitute a forecast.

That will be tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

I mean really?  This isn't Virginia

They get those 400 car pile ups in the Blue Ridge passes.  Ice and fog.  Fog so thick they're 20 feet away at 65mph before they see the jam.  No one really understands why they drive that fast under those conditions.  

1 minute ago, ROOSTA said:

Naptime is over, what did I miss?
25 pages of frivolity, implosions on the scale of miles and inches. Shift on the track by twenty miles means the difference in getting 18" or 30" 

A stall and loopback is rarely modeled correctly, best left to nowcast. 

Well put.

7 minutes ago, SeanInWayland said:

In late January 1982 I was in Lyndonville, VT for a college XC ski race. We knew a storm was coming though it was hellaciously cold ahead of it, and when we woke up that morning it was -10F and snowing really hard outside. Did my race (which was a real pain given the conditions), and then we all piled into our coaches Subaru and headed back to Boston. Went through heavy snow and eventually ice, but somehow made it safely back to Boston.

One of the reasons I remember this so clearly is that when I got back to my dorm I heard that a plane had just slid off the runway at Logan, killing two passengers.

World Airways DC-10.  Cockpit and first few rows of first class broke into the water, dead passengers never found.

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

Big storms always kill a couple dozen people from things like CO poisoning and heart attacks while shoveling. It sucks, but even with plenty of advance warning you can't do too much about it.

An ex college teammate of mine died shoveling in the Feb1-3 storm in NNJ. He was only 42 and in great physical health. Tragic and strange. 

4 minutes ago, Patrick-02540 said:

They get those 400 car pile ups in the Blue Ridge passes.  Ice and fog.  Fog so thick they're 20 feet away at 65mph before they see the jam.  No one really understands why they drive that fast under those conditions.  

Happened last year in the ice storm in Fort Worth.  I lived up North, not even we can really drive on ice, but we don't drive 60 in it.  NWS FWD had warnings posted.  https://www.nbcdfw.com/local/graphic-video-shows-cars-18-wheelers-collide-on-icy-i-35w-in-fort-worth/2549202/

I'm literally listening to Harvey on the retro broadcast of Channel 7's coverage of the Blizzard of '78 from the weekend after, on Youtube.  The amusing part was the anchor cut Dukakis short from telling too long a story to get to a young Harvey.  He mentioned a "dual center", one near the surface and another high up in the atmosphere, contributing to the strength of the blizzard.  I'm no expert but maybe someone could clarify, but does that sound similar to the "dual lows" some of these models are producing?

Just now, Warwick WX said:

I'm literally listening to Harvey on the retro broadcast of Channel 7's coverage of the Blizzard of '78 from the weekend after, on Youtube.  The amusing part was the anchor cut Dukakis short from telling too long a story to get to a young Harvey.  He mentioned a "dual center", one near the surface and another high up in the atmosphere, contributing to the strength of the blizzard.  I'm no expert but maybe someone could clarify, but does that sound similar to the "dual lows" some of these models are producing?

Was he talking about the system being stacked?  the biggies are always stacked up to 500......and when 200 closes off oh shit.....

• Like 2

Just now, Warwick WX said:

Probably referencing the upper low capturing the sfc low giving it the “blizzard loop”.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I wouldn't either right now....my forum nerves do not constitute a forecast.

That will be tomorrow.

Oh I know lol

And I understand the nerves... my area / north metrowest may have similar issues

And while I'm fairly confident, I'm not 100% absolutely certain we don't see progressively earlier capture until it's congrats Forky

Sounds like a broken record, but once again Euro run will be critical

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

An ex college teammate of mine died shoveling in the Feb1-3 storm in NNJ. He was only 42 and in great physical health. Tragic and strange. 

Awful. The cold air immediately strains breathing and circulation, and then you start exerting muscles that don't get much use over an extended period of time driven by the desire to get the job done despite feeling tired... recipe for disaster.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Can we just acknowledge how eff’n lucky we are right now to be tracking this storm. A whiff is basically off the table. We are literally at the point of arguing who gets the most FEET! 

Life has honestly been so hard for a lot of us these past few years. It’s awesome to see a bunch of strangers come together with so much passion about one thing.

I don’t know James but this sounds like the type of storm he hoped for. Let’s finish this thing boys and bring it home for everyone.

• Like 4