• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

What positive moves does sema exactly need? You’ve maxed out the potential for 4days now with crush after crush. Are you looking for George like amounts?

He wants Sierra Nevada amounts. It's like Jamie Dimon complaining he's not as rich as Jeff Bezos.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yikes.

Okay....I didn't know that to be the case this close in.

Here's a visualization from Alicia Bentley, who has done a ton of work with the GFS. 

You can see the GEFS are at least as useful as the op through day 3/4 then it becomes clear the ensembles are better. 

Obviously an ensemble mean high temp may not be particularly good on day 2, but for the upper levels there's skill still.

FKDUzkEUYAELRgo?format=png&name=medium

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

There we go, I wish you would just get naked already...I hate you latch onto some element of concern like pit bull and keep tormenting me with it lol

I admit I do that Ray , but it’s just me and I can’t help it lol and it wouldn’t be different if you weren’t on Board. But well said 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, George001 said:

I initially forecasted 16-20 inches of snow in the Boston area once I saw the Navy jump on board a couple of days ago. Is it possible that I was too…. conservative with my forecast? My forecasts bust all the time, but usually the other way.

One thing I really like about you is that you don't take yourself so seriously! You're a good addition to the forum

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I hope I didn't overreact to the OP EURO...usually when there is any doubt about capture, I like to err less and late....I didn't realize that the EPS would be so split and the still had so much value at this range.

I'd maybe start getting concerned 12z tomorrow if we're continuing to see some of what we're seeing. There's just so much time (even though it doesn't feel like it) really. Hopefully the 0z balloon launches will provide significant value...we can at least see how models are initializing heights in the West. This doesn't help with everything but gives a small idea. 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Here's a visualization from Alicia Bentley, who has done a ton of work with the GFS. 

You can see the GEFS are at least as useful as the op through day 3/4 then it becomes clear the ensembles are better. 

Obviously an ensemble mean high temp may not be particularly good on day 2, but for the upper levels there's skill still.

FKDUzkEUYAELRgo?format=png&name=medium

I don't doubt this or anything, but intuitively, I would think that average 500hpa height anomaly might not be representative of how well each model / ensemble handles east coast cyclogenesis, let alone bombogenesis.