• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yup ...I wonder if that's also robbing it from being deeper. It's just got incredible deep layer jet structural mechanics... 

980 ...um. 

Don't get me wrong, that's nice and deep and all. But it seems this 'higher upside' aspect that this has had, really all along ... , is leaving something out on the table.  So did the NAM for that matter, as that weird dual low aspect sort of pinches off maybe 20% QPF from getting back W

It's like watching and trying to time a hurricane's eye-wall replacement cycle.  I think the modeling is going to struggle to resolve the duel low structure, but in the end, the incredible jet dynamics will take over quicker than modeled and it will go nuclear...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Nice run AND no reason to think it can't get even better (a little earlier and SW). Trending back.

I am close to you and I'm optimistic we get more than modeled. 

The heavy bands sometimes rotate further west of modeling so I think we may do pretty well.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah maybe slightly less...I'd prob go like 13 to 1 or so because of the wind.

We never touched upon this in any classes but when taking wind into account for it's impact on ratios is it surface winds, winds aloft, a combination of both and then I guess what would you subtract off in terms of ratios for wind? This is something I have zero knowledge on. 

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yup ...I wonder if that's also robbing it from being deeper. It's just got incredible deep layer jet structural mechanics... 

980 ...um. 

Don't get me wrong, that's nice and deep and all. But it seems this 'higher upside' aspect that this has had, really all along ... , is leaving something out on the table.  So did the NAM for that matter, as that weird dual low aspect sort of pinches off maybe 20% QPF from getting back W

I mean, we've seen triple phasers before -- max potential usually in the 960's at 40N?  what is the history of non-tropical lows sub 960 at ~40N.  I don't know of any 950's examples in my lifetime. I think anything lower than that is suggesting a warm-core sub tropical entity, which never made sense in peak winter climo.

I think 965ish should have always been the extreme high end bar for non-tropical low such as this, at 40N. 960 ish further north in the GOM. 

The 12z euro, verbatim flirts with this max potential. 

Just now, amarshall said:

Shocking Weymouth ceases to exist.  Seldom happens

South Shore should issue some flares to folks to verify existence/life.  I've always wondered what it would take to really shut down a region '78 style from a storm. 

Winter 2015 definitely got close - but that was over a few weeks of storms.