• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Convective feedback is a weenie excuse 

Yeah frequently it is, but sometimes it's real. The convective chasing on this storm has been pretty minimal so far...but it definitely seemed like that run did it a little.

I would've expected more QPF to be thrown into central/western SNE based on these two frames:

image.png.4aa2b05121efe355dad29d0875d60306.png

image.png.9702c4d847f27a8cbd3373efd1decaf3.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Says someone on Twitter....

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

How many of those tweets could you find two weeks ago? You probably didn't care because you got the 10mile wide band...

Why is everyone attacking every time I post something. It wasn't my idea. Someone else posted it on Twitter and I asked. The guy studies atmospheric science at Cornell. 

• Haha 1

Just now, dendrite said:

I'm tossing the feedback excuse. It probably is a convective mesolow that deepens inside of the overall area of minimum pressure, but the primary wind field still appears to be converging on the western low.

Yeah that low could be spurious to the NE but I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference for the outcome in SNE.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

DE ME looks like they will get crushed. Prob 1-2 feet there on most guidance.

That run of the EURO looks just like March 14, 2018 just before it hit....I agree it would throw precip further west than that, though. Point is that it also appeared to jackpot PYM then, too....ended up IMBY

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah frequently it is, but sometimes it's real. The convective chasing on this storm has been pretty minimal so far...but it definitely seemed like that run did it a little.

I would've expected more QPF to be thrown into central/western SNE based on these two frames:

I'm tellin' y'all - it's because of what Will already mentioned re the next 60 hours.  Soon as he said the 'southern s/w was being left behind,' I didn't need bother looking at the run - yup, nailed it!

When the Euro shed southern stream absorption into the trough, it lost leading S/W ridge roll-out ahead.  Almost all the sensitivity in this is really isolate-able to that factor, and which is rooted back to that stream interaction. 

It's subtle, but HUGELY problematic for solutions farther W.  That loss causes the convection sequencing to run out ...   It'll let cut loose premature, before the trough arrives, and then race out as it starts pulling this apart.  

It's been really remarkably identifiable over the last 4 days of model monitoring - when the S stream fails to fuse in we see these types of E solutions, and vice versa.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Why is everyone attacking every time I post something. It wasn't my idea. Someone else posted it on Twitter and I asked. The guy studies atmospheric science at Cornell. 

If he had tweeted something like "2-3 feet of snow seems likely for much of SNE" you would be hailed as a conquering hero!! 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

image.png.4aa2b05121efe355dad29d0875d60306.png

image.png.9702c4d847f27a8cbd3373efd1decaf3.png

Yes indeed...