• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

19 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

YES.

I am confident.

Tremendous inflow

Thank you... For western CT/MA, I'm not worried about the location of the main fronto... If the inflow verifies, which is a much more predicable item, there will be great snow totals way west of the fronto projection.  Even in modest setups, my rule is to always skew it west & north of the fronto zone... In this setup with the projected inflow, it may be hard to get it to stop going west!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

We'll take it, 12Z with new upper air data will be much more important than these off hour runs anyway.

I posted a pdf of a study from Yang done thru 2015 presented at one of the conferences showing how the 6z and 18z runs still have lower verification scores than the 0z and 12z runs and it's mainly because of much fewer conventional obs data (RAOBS) ingested for those runs of the GFS.

Just now, LibertyBell said:

I posted a pdf study from Yang presented at one of the conferences showing how the 6z and 18z runs still have lower verification scores than the 0z and 12z runs and it's mainly because of much fewer conventional obs data (RAOBS) ingested for those runs of the GFS.

yeah but once you get inside 5 days, they still have more skill than the run 6 hours prior. the time becomes more important than the extra obs at some point. although maybe in a world of reduced commercial air traffic, that's changed a little

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Thank you... For western CT/MA, I'm not worried about the location of the main fronto... If the inflow verifies, which is a much more predicable item, there will be great snow totals way west of the fronto projection.  Even in modest setups, my rule is to always skew it west & north of the fronto zone... In this setup with the projected inflow, it may be hard to get it to stop going west!!!

Man, get outta my head lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, JC-CT said:

yeah but once you get inside 5 days, they still have more skill than the run 6 hours prior. the time becomes more important than the extra obs at some point. although maybe in a world of reduced commercial air traffic, that's changed a little

This is true, the lower scores start at around 6 days, once you get within that range, and if you focus on a specific time frame (for example 0z run at 116 hours vs 6z run at 108 hours), the skill scores of the off hour runs improves.  I'd like to see what it's like today, vs that study which was completed in 2015.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Man, get outta my head lol

This is not one of those storms with a small snowshield this is going to have an impressive wide band of very heavy snow well west of the storm track- like some of the all time greats from yesteryear (Feb 1983 and Jan 1996 just to name a couple.)

2 hours ago, NeonPeon said:

And you're immune to this how, exactly?

You're someone on the interior joyfully hoping that the cape rains so that you get your snow. Tale as old as time. Well, not really, since the advent of publicly consumable computer modeling, anyway.

I wish there was more and better data for southern RI from PT Judith on east. I think there were a few very cold storms in the 60s that buried right to the beach. I saw a few pics from the 60s with Galilee buried under what looks like 15 inches or more. Wind makes things tough in your area too. 

9 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

I read somewhere 18Z is better than 6Z runs because more planes in the air, more ACCARS (they used to call it that anyway) ingested.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Also, esp in the Berks they'll likely start snowing tomorrow night and snow off and on til Sunday with the approaching n stream dynamics and the available moisture.  Hi ratio stuff too. I'm thinking 3-6" anyway even if the slp happened to go well east.  Nam has been bullish on the convective processes, which we like to see.

• Like 1