• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

Just now, NeonPeon said:

And you're immune to this how, exactly?

You're someone on the interior joyfully hoping that the cape rains so that you get your snow. Tale as old as time. Well, not really, since the advent of publicly consumable computer modeling, anyway.

Don't let the 84hr NAM spook you. I'm sure GFS is about to drop a turd in the western camp punchbowl and go further east.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

It sounds like all of your mental corrections bring the best snows right over your house. Helpful, for sure. LOL

I do NOT have a "Jack POT" fetish or an IMBY mentality. I have seen these models not just how they performed this year, but others, and this trend has continued. Believe what you must but I have lived and seen this many times before.

Just now, Greg said:

I do NOT have a "Jack POT" fetish or an IMBY mentality. I have seen these models not just how they performed this year, but others, and this trend has continued. Believe what you must but I have lived and seen this many times before.

I'll bet you would have called BS on the QPF in December 14, 1992 and March 31. 1997, too.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, this autopilot mode of defaulting to traditional biases needs to be checked IMO. These are pretty exceptional circumstances.

Precisely. We all know models have a tendency to overdo QPF but like you said these are exceptional circumstances. I mean when you have 80+ knots of warm/moist inflow into such a cold airmass...it doesn't take rocket appliances to know what that will do or means. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

GGEM has been jumpy too, going back and forth between the GFS and Euro looks each cycle.

Both the GFS and EURO have been very steady for the past 24 to 48 hours in their own camps....The GFS has been on the EPS eastern cluster, while the EURO has been hanging out on the Western side of the EPS. So obviously there are still moves to be had being 72 hours out from start time.

39 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Good points. I like a balanced discussion.

As I watch the 12z NAM roll to hr 42 and also look at that trend Gif I posted of the GFS—look at that pacific ridge axis-now as far west as Vancouver at that hr. Never say never, but this is NOT a long-wave spacing/setup for down east ME and Nova Scotia, to take the brunt. To my mind the betting risk is highly asymmetric in favor of west of current guidance.

That's a salient observation, no argument!  

Yeah I am a big fan of those 'total scaffold' orientations ( which can also be moving in time to offer some delicious headaches that way too...), for determining what I call 'correction vectoring'  

- all else being equal, if the vector is unaccounted for as remainder, ...future guidance tends to move in that direction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

Meh, Reggie's been getting high on his own supply since '15.

The WOR crowd probably has PTSD from Reggie absolutely nailing Jan 2015 right down to the Ginxy-ORH-495 band and then 8-14" of sand for western areas.

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point....maybe inside 48.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Don't let the 84hr NAM spook you. I'm sure GFS is about to drop a turd in the western camp punchbowl and go further east.

I'm not spooked, there's a great storm brewing that seems increasingly likely to do well for all. Its sensible impacts here are almost certainly going to be less than everywhere else, due to climo. I've yet to see a nor'easter not favor other areas, and I've been here for more than a decade now.

As to the cape being nervous? They know the deal, as do I, for any storm, unless they are unhinged. Mixing is often a threat that requires tracking till the last minute. They aren't going to turn on being nervous or not at 3 days out. They are nervous till the flakes fall, if they are weenies at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The WOR crowd probably has PTSD from Reggie absolutely nailing Jan 2015 right down to the Ginxy-ORH-495 band and then 8-14" of sand for western areas.

Oh, Reg definitely was on a heater in '15. It nailed a couple of those systems, but it's generally puked on itself ever since.

Just now, tiger_deF said:

The ICON supercomputer? I was expecting the ICON room-sized vacuum tube computer

Well it's pretty high resolutioon....even if it sucks, lol.

The old NGM was the model that I could probably run on my high school graphing calculator.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The Reggie look at 500 around hr 52 has some noticeable contrasts to just about every other model as to the structure of the key southern piece that gets dragged through Texas. Can't be discounted in the absence of better consensus from the bigger players, but it also doesn't carry any extra weight as an outlier here.

• Like 1