• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

I am fine getting 6 if it ends up being historic overall

That would be even worse IMHO....it ends up historic for a huge area and you're one of the few screw zones that get 6". But hopefully that doesn't happen anyway....a NAM-esque solution would be pretty ridiuclous for most of the forum. The Cape peeps would get screwed a bit, but very few elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Greg said:

Out of all the upgrades, it still has a tendancy to over do "LE" Liquid Equivilancy and hug the coast a little too much. Needs to be adjusted for final outcome. Not to mention, people are basing this also on the 84 Hour. Well outside of its range credible solutions.

this is true but it is supported by the Euro, and even if reality is like 50 miles east of this it would still be a huge storm with a 2 ft+ jackpot.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That would be even worse IMHO....it ends up historic for a huge area and you're one of the few screw zones that get 6". But hopefully that doesn't happen anyway....a NAM-esque solution would be pretty ridiuclous for most of the forum. The Cape peeps would get screwed a bit, but very few elsewhere.

The biggies always have surprises, both good and bad. Sometimes it's a boom heavy band that drops a lot of powder way west in the fringe zone, sometimes it's an unexpected change to sleet, sometimes it's a persistent dry slot that is way off of where it was modeled.

Another classic is the heavy rates never materialize as modeled and you just spit for hours.

Hopefully the models at least come into agreement on track today so we can start quibbling over that stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

The biggies always have surprises, both good and bad. Sometimes it's a boom heavy band that drops a lot of powder way west in the fringe zone, sometimes it's an unexpected change to sleet, sometimes it's a persistent dry slot that is way off of where it was modeled.

Another classic is the heavy rates never materialize as modeled and you just spit for hours.

Hopefully the models at least come into agreement on track today so we can start quibbling over that stuff.

Somebody will get into a subby zone.

9 minutes ago, Greg said:

Out of all the upgrades, it still has a tendancy to over do "LE" Liquid Equivilancy and hug the coast a little too much. Needs to be adjusted for final outcome. Not to mention, people are basing this also on the 84 Hour. Well outside of its range credible solutions.

I understand what you are saying about the QPF bias, but its incumbent on the forecaster/hobbyists to utilize discretion in determining when a bias may or may not be at play....because automatically assuming that is the case, regardless of the circumstances, is also a bias in and of itself. In this case, we have an exotically deepening system of SOUTHERN STREAM origin availing of N  Stream insert over the gulf stream. If that isn't enough to tip the scales in favor of more QPF, the EURO supports it 100%.

You need to be careful about utilizing defense mechanisms under the guise of recognition of a model's perceived "bias" to suite the interests of your back yard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rnaude241 said:

I am hoping this stays a tic east to keep Plymouth on the cool side. No rain please for once!

Ultimately, I think it will. Overall look for days now has been east. I don't expect some sudden shift to running over land aside from maybe a rogue NAM run.

GFS will come west part of the way to the Euro and NAM will do its usual wobbling.

3 minutes ago, George001 said:

this is true but it is supported by the Euro, and even if reality is like 50 miles east of this it would still be a huge storm with a 2 ft+ jackpot.

Even the Euro and GFS have their collective biases that need slight correcting my friend. This is fairly well known. The GFS is still a little too far southeast with its tracks and tends to overdo the extent of its precip shield. the Euro, has a tendency to have a slightly over amped bias, not quite like the NAM of course, and tends to very slightly overdo the "LE" Liquid Equivalency. So, all these things need to be kept in a reasonable perspective.

Just now, Zeus said:

I believe he may have been suggesting one to three inches of liquid equivalent precipitation.

Ah. I was just teasing anyway. I thought he meant 1-3', which would be plausible at that amount of liquid with good cold and perhaps not too much wind aloft in the interior?

Just now, Greg said:

Even the Euro and GFS have their collective biases that need slight correcting my friend. This is fairly well known. The GFS is still a little too far southeast with its tracks and tends to overdo the extent of its precip shield. the Euro, has a tendency to have a slightly over amped bias, not quite like the NAM of course, and tends to very slightly overdo the "LE" Liquid Equivalency. So, all these things need to be kept in a reasonable perspective.

It sounds like all of your mental corrections bring the best snows right over your house. Helpful, for sure. LOL

Just now, Spanks45 said:

NAM has me in the single digits at hr 84 with heavy snow still falling, already 16-20 inches have fallen....sign me up, but in reality it is the NAM....not worried about the RGEM yet, it has had a rough few years outside of light freezing rain event this year

GGEM has been jumpy too, going back and forth between the GFS and Euro looks each cycle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

It sounds like all of your mental corrections bring the best snows right over your house. Helpful, for sure. LOL

And you're immune to this how, exactly?

You're someone on the interior joyfully hoping that the cape rains so that you get your snow. Tale as old as time. Well, not really, since the advent of publicly consumable computer modeling, anyway.

• Like 1