• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

56 minutes ago, CT Valley Dryslot said:

BOX has learned nothing since the Juno snow map fiasco.

I actually wonder if that map isn't just a GFS clown map.

We don't really have that many QPF sources to use beyond 60 hours.

You have your standard GFS, GEM, and Euro runs, plus WPC's QPF (usually their super-ensemble blend) and the NBM. This would appear closer to the WPC blend, so at least it's using some ensemble data and not just deterministic runs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I'll never forget in the run up to Feb 2013 the NAM spitting out 4" QPF for PWM. Of course that in and of itself was enough to tease a historic event incoming despite it being a fantasyland forecast.

That was a great storm here, partly because of the pre-game event leading into the main show.

Noticed that the GYX pm AFD is fairly understated, which seems appropriate at this stage. I have to admit that I told my wife this evening that we should make sure we do any needed grocery shopping during the day tomorrow because it looks like something potentially big is coming and I'm assuming that the hype machine could be in overdrive by tomorrow night. 

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I feel pretty comfortable tossing the 18z GEFS. Just a huge outlier. 

It senses to me as thought entire product systemically is dropping/..or perhaps 'missing' some 20% of the momentum of prior cycles - cross guidance too. It's just paltrier ... NCEP cited this notion about a strong S/W mechanical presence sending s/w ridging out ahead, to where it constructively interferes with the Atlantic L/W ridging... (Euro), and so ... ( and I agree with them ) missing 20% leads to an an early escape - it's interesting the oper. version performed as it did. It appears be western member now... 

Man.. this model has for days really been attempting least plausible reason it can to diminish the specter of this thing LOL... 

I guess NCEP's had it. They're flying reco I hear ?   Pretty amazing... they must feel as we do that the larger scale hemisphere is anchoring this system, so it's "worth it" - I dunno. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It actually was a little more intense with MSLP, but not sure it was going to tuck as much? Extrapolating out would have been a slaugtering.

It’s still closing it off down south but it’s not capturing it quite as fast I don’t think. The capture would prob be a little bit further northeast of the 12z run but not too far off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It senses to me as thought it the product systemically is dropping/..or perhaps 'missing' some 20% of the momentum of prior cycles - cross guidance too. It's just paltrier ... NCEP cited this notion about a strong S/W mechanical presence sending s/w ridging out ahead, to where it constructively interferes with the Atlantic L/W ridging... (Euro), and so ... ( and I agree with them ) missing 20% leads to an an early escape - it's interesting the oper. version performed as it did. It appears be western member now... 

Man.. this model has for days really been attempting lead plausible reason it can to diminish the specter of this thing LOL... 

I guess NCEP's had it. They're flying reco I hear ?   Pretty amazing... they must feel as we do that the larger scale hemisphere is anchoring this system, so it's "worth it" - I dunno. 

Because the model is beside itself about how major this storm really is it cannot believe it’s own calculations.

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

i guess. i think it's not hard to see a lot of similarities if you aren't looking for them to be exact clones at 90 hours out. but to each their own.

Well when you do a comparison on similarities upstream Wouldn't you be basing on that same result downstream?

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s still closing it off down south but it’s not capturing it quite as fast I don’t think. The capture would prob be a little bit further northeast of the 12z run but not too far off. 

That's how it looked to me too. I'm blown away how this has a warm core with it LOL. It's not just a 1C anomaly at 850...it's a deep core.

• Like 2