• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

RGEM is dragging the southern stream compared to 12z....so the NAM didn't start a new trend for all 18z guidance.

Neither of those would start at trend at hr84 though so both are filed in the fwiw, which is not much, bucket. I know you know this. We'd like to see the gfs continue to tickle closer in though but not too close to scare SEMA peeps. 

• Like 1

There are differences between 78' and 05', but I don't have time to describe them at the moment (I'm working, but I'm so distracted!).

I ran semi-high resolution (d1 = 12km. d2 = 4km) WRF simulations for both events and both evaluated pretty/reasonably well:

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Just give me a 980's or 970's low as it's passing southeast. Getting anything deeper (especially too intense deepening) and bad things happen. Precip starts to get more banded so while some cash in you need to be lucky and occlusion can happen to rapidly so you choke off the moist inflow and the CCB just shuts off and everything goes to poop. Save the 950's for tropical 

I'd like to see the stronger, more west solutions to keep the wind threat respectable.  this ain't a '78 redux

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Neither of those would start at trend at hr84 though so both are filed in the fwiw, which is not much, bucket. I know you know this. We'd like to see the gfs continue to tickle closer in though but not too close to scare SEMA peeps. 

18z RDPS has low same position as EURO at 84.

5 minutes ago, MegaMike said:

There are differences between 78' and 05', but I don't have time to describe them at the moment (I'm working, but I'm so distracted!).

I ran semi-high resolution (d1 = 12km. d2 = 4km) WRF simulations for both events and both evaluated pretty/reasonably well:

Hey Mark Zinnie is  in CT now maybe he can redo his 05! :) 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Lol gotta love it when the two don’t even have the same trend. 

Deutschmark went east again. No trends at 18z so far. 

I like any model prog that gets the adrenaline going, but that thing is honestly in a bucket with the NAM. It really doesn't handle east coast cyclogenesis very well.

1 hour ago, 78Blizzard said:

I had the good fortune to meet him and watch the noon newscast in the studio.  I was only a kid of 10 or 12 back then and my mother had to take me in to WBZ.  I had written him a letter which led to the in person meeting.  He told me to study hard and go to the right colleges, the few at the time that had a meteorology curriculum.  I biked on several occasions from my home in Roslindale to his weather shack in N. Weymouth.  He was never there though.

How's that for a weenie...

Great story!  I have a picture of Don and I standing in front of his map circa 1972 but it’s too big to post.

• Like 2