Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

3 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

yeah that’s not even remotely true up here.

I honestly thought sand was done . I know some boondocks in Maine use it from traveling in sales up there, but it’s very rare, terrible for the environment and does nothing for roads as the plows just plowed it off as soon as it’s dropped . It’s simply a cost measure so they save money on salt consumption 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I honestly thought sand was done . I know some boondocks in Maine use it from traveling in sales up there, but it’s very rare, terrible for the environment and does nothing for roads as the plows just plowed it off as soon as it’s dropped . It’s simply a cost measure so they save money on salt consumption 

A sand blend is a staple, Wait until your DPW shortfalls hit and supply chain problems are realized, Your going back in times.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

No wind here lol

Right now seems exposed areas have the most wind.  Just went to take the dog for a walk and it was quite breezy and you could see the fog/mist blowing through.  Considering our normal walk ends right next to a cemetary before we turn around it was quite spooky lol...

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Never say never, Just saying.

I remember as a kid you’d get behind a plow and could hear the tiny sand pebbles mixed in hitting the windshield . They used red sand here growing up and it left a hideous reddish brown all over everything. My dad would go out into our culdesac and sweep the entire circle up with a push broom, shovel loads of it into wheelbarrow and dump it into our woods 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I remember as a kid you’d get behind a plow and could hear the tiny sand pebbles mixed in hitting the windshield . They used red sand here growing up and it left a hideous reddish brown all over everything. My dad would go out into our culdesac and sweep the entire circle up with a push broom, shovel loads of it into wheelbarrow and dump it into our woods 

Chlorides are temp sensitive, You can get away with sodium in CT, But you would have to go to a more effective and less budget friendly calcium because of colder temps here that's why salt/sand blends are still used, I sold this stuff for years, Sodium (salt) chloride is the least expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

16 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Doesn't look like they use sand anymore here either, just all salt. If they have it's very little because I never see any on the roads after a storm.

Our town stopped using sand a couple of years ago.  I wouldn’t have minded some this year on our road.  So much ice and they didn’t salt all the time.  On the main roads they have been using that calcium chloride solution. First year for that. 

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The red sand OMG. they scooped it from Iwo Jima beaches and dumped it in Tolland. Right up through 2006 I would say