Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Just that it’s amazing how bad his area is doing…and has been doing of late. 

Multi year slumps are definitely common but I think bad years stand out more when areas 70 or 80 miles away are bombs away.  I would say Dave and Whinemister are getting a pretty hard shaft too relative to average.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I wasn't comparing. We're in the same boat over past several years. I think he did better in 2018-2019, otherwise we've been pretty close.

Yes, 2018-19 were not bad here.   You are missing the big totals by miles sometimes, so that is certainly more frustrating than me watching T-Blizz get buried.

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

17-18 was my last above average year.  Been coming in 6-10" below since then. 

I haven't been within 10-15" of average since 2017-2018. But I'm out...not gonna derail the thread again. Happy for se MA. Hopefully next year I can fend off regression again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I haven't been within 10-15" of average since 2017-2018. But I'm out...not gonna derail the thread again. Happy for se MA. Hopefully next year I can fend off regression again.

I would be shocked if we didn't get a SWFE or two before the season ends.  End of the month looks better for snow chances.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

This general area has had a tougher time getting the goods relative to the rest of SNE/ W CNE  I'm speaking locally, I know there are other screw zones N & W.

198362698_NewEngland.jpg.d28e9ed676b952f165c6eac1ade481aa.jpg

can definitely attest to that, sitting at 24.5 on the season with yesterday 2" fluff, need something big to just get near normal and prognosis not looking good until early Mar, maybe...

44 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

This general area has had a tougher time getting the goods relative to the rest of SNE/ W CNE  I'm speaking locally, I know there are other screw zones N & W.

198362698_NewEngland.jpg.d28e9ed676b952f165c6eac1ade481aa.jpg

Yeah people are going to say we clean up out here.  But in all honesty the foothill areas do not get that much snow and especially the valleys.  Berkshire East is down in a valley with a base elevation of 400 feet.  The mountain says it averages 75-80" a season which is pretty decent for SNE but I'd argue they don't get that much due to their very low base elevation. I'd say there are definitely some years where we get good snow but it's fairly inconsistent.  I don't think there have been more than 5 20" storms in Charlemont, MA in the last 12 years.  

Now head 10 miles West and you are getting into a special place.  Though lately even up there that are not seeing the big totals. SVT down into the northern Berkshires haven't had a ton to be excited about over the last several winters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah but there's nothing I can do about it, so I've tried not to get too worked up.  Still time for a good snow storm or two, it's just been a long wait and it gets tougher to produce here in about 4 weeks.

Being fascinated with weather in general, that cutter Thurs/Fri runs from the Texas Pan Handle to Caribou.  That's how you get rain into N Maine in mid-February.  Love it or hate it, that's impressive.  Be nice to get rid of the ice in my yard.

Every winter is different which is fun. This one has left a lot to be desired. Weather though is always fascinating…it’s why we are all here.  

An event or two can change the overall appeal of a winter, especially in the lower average spots.  A couple events have been game changers in the south/east New England quarter.  Everyone else has been struggling… but that’s the risk/reward of living closer to the coast.  Get a couple to hit and it’s a solid snow year.  Always good when at least someone on the forum wins.

• Like 3