Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

45 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL it's 45 here now at nearly 9:30 with stiff torch winds. 

This is a legit torch wave and was mostly missed by the warm-loving crew. They hyped hot 300 hr GFS plots all winter and then I verified at -4 instead, but slept through this one it seems. 

Any strong SW flow where afternoon 850s rise above 0C are going to torch in lee side mixing.  Most spots are in the 40s with gusty winds looking at the ASOS network across New England.  It's been a while since we haven't been frigid for a period of several days.  Sunday and into early next week will jack up the heating demand again.

The peaks are staying cold though which is all that matters. Preserve the snow up high as long as possible, down where people live it's nice to get a break from the real cold stuff.  Very western US or even European mountain climate vibe right now... mild dry flow down low while the high terrain keeps the snow.  I love that stuff.

19 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

there's a few that were worse

2001-02 is at the top for worst winters going by the WSI.  1997-98 is up there too.  More recently 2011-12 makes the list, Octosnow notwithstanding.

I wasn’t here for the 01-02 and 97-98 seasons but 11-12 I was and I just don’t remember it now…..maybe the bad ones you repress IDK…..the octo bomb was epic though…..we took it up the ass hard here…lol…10 days on genny

14 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

My guess is we have a shot in March. Some indicators of the tropics  trying to help.

Looks like cold—>warm—>cold again (low chance of storm?) and then back to mild to finish February.

Lol who cares about shits in Morch….it’s not building pack so why bother…..I’d rather by @weatherwizdancing nude in the street under 15 minutes of SVR than suffer shoveling dripping glop in Morch…..for christs sakes

2 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

deep winter is long gone, let's hope for a '93.  Between 50's and 60's?

Ya….it’s why I get so pissed off when you lose December…..if you lose December you by default can’t have a “deep” winter…..deep winter means wire to wire pack and constant shots feeding that pack…..doesn’t have to be big shots but building shots…..throw in the biggie in January and/or February and you have the season of yore…..lose December and ****in who cares….or worse like this year where you get some then nothing builds it and it wimpily melts away all sad and shit…..sad sad winter 21-22 is….sad

8 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Ya….it’s why I get so pissed off when you lose December…..if you lose December you by default can’t have a “deep” winter…..deep winter means wire to wire pack and constant shots feeding that pack…..doesn’t have to be big shots but building shots…..throw in the biggie in January and/or February and you have the season of yore…..lose December and ****in who cares….or worse like this year where you get some then nothing builds it and it wimpily melts away all sad and shit…..sad sad winter 21-22 is….sad

Most of winter was trash. 

6 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Same to you--

well I know people who have it, and that's typical behavior.  It was an observation, nothing more.  What was way worse was making derogatory comments about Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder, don't you think?  The guy is a total ass and it's time to call him out on it-- don't be defending him, you just promote his behavior more.

So go cry me a river for being "dickish" to him-- he deserves a hell of a lot worse than that.

"R" has nothing to do with autism.  The dude is a smart dude, he clearly has issues with people and trolls people and makes tonedeaf near-racist digs (or did you fail to notice he made a derogatory comment using two accomplished BLACK MEN?)  This has nothing to with "R" and everything to do with his behavior for multiple years across multiple forums.

He's a 5 posted guy who spends his entire day giving out 100s of weenies to everyone else and for what-- liking snow?  So get your facts straight before you open your mouth, until then, stand down.

Oh, I wasn't defending him... I was just making an observation. Seems like some of the conversations you two have been having back and forth have been promoting each other's Behavior. I would have commented on his post also but I couldn't find it at the time

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

I wasn’t here for the 01-02 and 97-98 seasons but 11-12 I was and I just don’t remember it now…..maybe the bad ones you repress IDK…..the octo bomb was epic though…..we took it up the ass hard here…lol…10 days on genny

How could you forget it, March was like a nice May.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Yup. It’s next to impossible down here to do it on your own. It’s going to get to the point where big management companies will hold the accounts an sub the work out. 

Just think about being in western Ct or Mass with a few pathetic storms which turn little profit and a law suit…

This is exactly why I gave up my small residential route in 2014. I was doing it with no special insurance and finally got smart enough to realize that was a stupid thing to be doing. As soon as I priced insurance for the following year my snow plow and truck were up for sale.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

I agree mostly but 2015 gave me a new perspective on that thought.

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

I agree mostly but 2015 gave me a new perspective on that thought.

Idk….wut the hell happened in 2015? Was that the epic Boston snowpack season? Where they didn’t know where to put all of it?  I don’t really care about other places lol…..some try to purport you should….that it soothes the soul somehow lol

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Damn. And I was complaining about it being 40F

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Currently have 25 mph winds out of the south, and that's a huge torch here every time.

I can get snow in every direction but due south. That roasts my ass. 

These New England warm punches hit hard and it seems to take forever for cold fronts to come down and clear them.

Keep this shit in Taunton, please!

11 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Idk….wut the hell happened in 2015? Was that the epic Boston snowpack season? Where they didn’t know where to put all of it?  I don’t really care about other places lol…..some try to purport you should….that it soothes the soul somehow lol

I know its an IMBY thing with all of us, I didn't have the snows they did but it was damn good here, I know you guys west had less. But still, it showed you can get an epic 5-6 weeks after December.

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It’s 48 degrees here at 11:30. This is one hell of a torch for Feb. This was not forecast. I’m roasting. This shit sucks. 

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Damn. And I was complaining about it being 40F

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

I'm far South of both of you and 36F.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UnitedWx said:

Oh, I wasn't defending him... I was just making an observation. Seems like some of the conversations you two have been having back and forth have been promoting each other's Behavior. I would have commented on his post also but I couldn't find it at the time

You're probably right.  But it's like over a dozen people he does it to and everyone has  a problem with him.