• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

I am not buying what the GFS is selling. Didn't it do poorly on that cold chasing precip storm a couple weeks ago? Don't ice storms around here usually underperform? No other model support. Ya figure too, temps crash and its not just going to magically ice over. Thats going to take a bit. So its got to be overdone in my opinion.

Maybe I have no dog in this fight. I am chasing this and will be on the snow side of the boundary where ever that ends up being. 

1 minute ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I am not buying what the GFS is selling. Didn't it do poorly on that cold chasing precip storm a couple weeks ago? Don't ice storms around here usually underperform? No other model support. Ya figure too, temps crash and its not just going to magically ice over. Thats going to take a bit. So its got to be overdone in my opinion.

Maybe I have no dog in this fight. I am chasing this and will be on the snow side of the boundary where ever that ends up being. 

Got time to go to Michigan or Indiana? 

3 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Keep us posted. 

• Haha 9

5 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

You must not have lived here long.  We do sleet and ice quite well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Solution Man said:

You think the store shelves are empty now, just wait a day or two if this verifies

Tell me about it. Another big storm or 2 and it will take us weeks to recover from a supply chain standpoint 

It took us a week to recover from the storm 2 weeks ago.

And when I say recover  I Mean recover back to the  atrocious conditions we've had for the last year lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris78 said:

Tell me about it. Another big storm or 2 and it will take us weeks to recover from a supply chain standpoint 

And when I say recover  I Mean recover back to the  atrocious conditions we've had for the last year lol.

Good grief

• Like 1

People are stupid. There’s probably never been a weather event here that would keep you stranded for more than a couple of days. People shop like their the Donner party. And the biggest threat from this is a power outage. Good idea to stock up the fridge and then have to figure how to keep it from going bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

People are stupid. There’s probably never been a weather event here that would keep you stranded for more than a couple of days. People shop like their the Donner party. And the biggest threat from this is a power outage. Good idea to stock up the fridge and then have to figure how to keep it from going bad.

Lol yea. Been in the grocery industry for almost 30 years and it's insanity.  

With our supply chain being on a razors thin edge it doesn't take much for us to not have any chicken in the case for a week now unfortunately. 

• Sad 1

Lol yea. Been in the grocery industry for almost 30 years and it's insanity.  

With our supply chain being on a razors thin edge it doesn't take much for us to not have any chicken in the case for a week now unfortunately. 

By the way, thanks for what you do. This industry is so disrespected, along with our logistics industry.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Just now, snowmagnet said:

I saw that the NWS discussion now mentions the cold front and chance for a changeover Friday morning. It seems that they are hesitant to go there after the last anafrontal debacle.  They also mentioned a coastal low possibility on Sunday…

This is a completely different animal. 

Thoughts from Mount Holly for late week-

Thursday-Friday... A cold front to our northwest will gradually move into the region during this time as a wave of low pressure tracks along it. Ahead of the front, a much milder air mass will move in as heights continue to rise and surface winds remain southerly. Many areas will make in into the 50s on Thursday, or else well into the 50s. Gradual rain development from northwest to southeast is expected as the front slowly approaches, although much of the day should remain dry south and east of I-95. We then watch the evolution of the front. Model agreement has worsened regarding the evolution of this system, with the GFS today lurching to a much colder solution than previous runs and showing a significant snow and ice event for at least the northern half of the region. This would happen if the cold front moves through faster and the wave of low pressure tracks over or south of us. However, other models like the EC and GEM remain warmer with mainly rain save for the very far north as the low tracks just north of us. This would bring another round of temperatures in the upper 40s and 50s on Friday. While I am not all in on the GFS solution, it is concerning. With a very strong Arctic high to the north of this frontal system, and lingering snowpack over our region, the setup is ripe for models to display a warm bias. Would not be surprised to see a colder, less amplified trend on this system in the coming days. Would be doubtful of winter weather impacts extending any further south than the GFS indicates, and as it is the GFS is probably pushing it. However, it does appear that winter weather risks are increasing at least across northern portions of the area. Friday night... Friday night will see the departure of the frontal system. As the cold front moves away, Arctic air will rush into the region. The mild conditions of Thursday and Friday will be replaced by readings in the 10s and 20s. The overall evolution of the system and whether it looks more like the GFS camp or EC camp will determine how precipitation ends. Am always skeptical of short duration back-end snow, but it does look like the rain/ice/snow line will collapse towards the coast late in the event, especially if the colder model solutions are right. And the further north you go, the better the chances for a lengthier period of frozen precip near the end of the system. Either way, with the temperatures likely to be crashing before precipitation ends, the setup looks quite favorable for a rapid freeze-up on Friday night, so we will be keeping an eye on this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The one harsh reality that many seem to ignore is that an ice storm creates suffering and misery for millions.  The terrible results takes years to recover from.

Minor ice is a nuisance except for the many who suffer inconvenience.

Major ice cripples the communities affected.

14 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

In 2010, we had 2' of snow on our street and not a single vehicle drove though it until it was plowed less than 24 hours before the second storm hit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AU74 said:

In 2010, we had 2' of snow on our street and not a single vehicle drove though it until it was plowed less than 24 hours before the second storm hit.

Well that means it was plowed by the 9th. So that means you had to suffer through three whole days. Just how much toilet paper, bread and milk does it take to get through 3 days?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

18z GEFS looks a bit colder on the mean vs 12z, bit lower heights indicating good cold press from up north. (Just looking at the basic TT maps since I'm mobile). Can someone get us more.

Heights will play a big role. I liked seeing the gfs flatter in front with lower heights over the southeast.

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic