Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Just a weenie but there's a bread and butter way here. Right now the drape is getting sweet but vertically, the cold literally has too much angle. Coldest air at the surface then lags as you go up. There is no reason right now to think its impossible to get the mids to cooperate. Gfs looks close enough for 3-4 days. No room to go backwards tho. 

Agreed.  Could be a snowier outcome but still need a bigger push of cold air and probably a more distinct second wave that keeps precip going after the cold air gets in.  

• Like 3

So ummmmm, this seems like something I’m gonna have to track eh? 

This has textbook ice storm for a large swath of the country written all over it. Keep an eye on the progress on the layer between 925-850mb. That layer will be important for designating sleet or ZR for a good chunk of the area. I’ll be here for it…maybe. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_fh96_trend.thumb.gif.3c054306f448512e1cfef42a540aa72a.gif

One of the best visuals illustrating how arctic fronts can sometimes work here. Trajectory has really changed into something workable in a few runs.  This is right out of the 2013-15 playbook. WAR backs off leading in and the cold dense air forces its way south. Starting off in a bad place with limited time but the door to success is still open. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Can any met tell me any reason why we could get a mostly snow scenario out of this, or is this our "max" potential....a skating rink?  

The problem is, we are 4 days away and it isn't even close on any of the models.  Most have rain, but the GFS pushes the cold air at the surface much more vigorously.  This is a later afternoon Friday sounding from the GFS, which is the coldest of the models.  It isn't going to snow.

926952817_2022013112_GFS_105_38.89-76.98_winter_ml.thumb.png.66f673ded0d9302021e51a0899a587d9.png

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Can any met tell me any reason why we could get a mostly snow scenario out of this, or is this our "max" potential....a skating rink?  

Those 850’s will trail this by a bit. If we can get those then I’d say Richmond would be looking at an ice storm 

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Those 850’s will trail this by a bit. If we can get those then I’d say Richmond would be looking at an ice storm 

That little weak low running the gauntlet is a bit too quick and blocks the mids from pressing when we need it. Delay that wave by just 6-12 hours and the front has a much better chance to drape far enough south. The extra synoptic push on the front happens too early. Can't lose sight of the fact that the gfs is kind alone with this trend right now tho...

Just now, Bob Chill said:

That little weak low running the gauntlet is a bit too quick and blocks the mids from pressing when we need it. Delay that wave by just 6-12 hours and the front has a much better chance to drape far enough south. The extra synoptic push on the front happens too early. Can't lose sight of the fact that the gfs is kind alone with this trend right now..

Which trend? That wave? Otherwise I think just about all of them are on board with pressing the cold.

Just now, MN Transplant said:

The problem is, we are 4 days away and it isn't even close on any of the models.  Most have rain, but the GFS pushes the cold air at the surface much more vigorously.  This is a later afternoon Friday sounding from the GFS, which is the coldest of the models.  It isn't going to snow.

926952817_2022013112_GFS_105_38.89-76.98_winter_ml.thumb.png.66f673ded0d9302021e51a0899a587d9.png

This has icy mess written all over it. This arctic shot is no joke. As @Bob Chill alluded to earlier, the backing off of the WAR has been huge for these successive runs of the GFS. Considering the magnitude of the cold being modeled, you gotta think it’ll have the opportunity to cause some serious concerns once the airmass gets here. I think GFS might be a tad fast with the cold considering the density of the expected airmass, but it’ll hit like a hammer and any precip in the area will eventually cause issues. 

For any in here, take a look at CIPS Historical Analogs around 2pm today to see the latest updates using the current 12z guidance. Could open some light on expectations considering the environment both aloft and at the surface. Great tool. 

• Like 3

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

Which trend? That wave? Otherwise I think just about all of them are on board with pressing the cold.

Gfs has had 4 straight runs and 12z was a very noticeable move. I thought the other guidance was still waffling around and no making progress towards winter wx. I could be waaay wrong. Haven't looked close enough. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Gfs has had 4 straight runs and 12z was a very noticeable move. I thought the other guidance was still waffling around and no making progress towards winter wx. I could be waaay wrong. Haven't looked close enough. 

ICON has been on a pretty steady progression since yesterday. NAM made a move too but it’s the NAM

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic