Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

19 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

We have the dumbest of hobbies.  I don't know about anybody else, but sometimes I wish I was a normie.  My mom knew I was weird when I was 4.  It would be thundering and lightening outside, everybody going away from the windows and I'd sit in a chair at the window.  High school, calling my mom to hold the phone up to the TV at 11:20 tuned to the weather channel when the 5 day business planner came on.  I'm honestly surprised my mother just didn't throw the whole child away and start over.

As a kid, I used to go into my mom’s at room at 4 in the morning to tell her she had to wake up because it’s snowing. Now she calls me at four in the morning wondering why I haven’t called her because it’s snowing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Dude..me, zwyts and @WEATHER53 met in Watertown upstate NY to chase a lake effect outbreak in 2007.  Zwyts and I drove to Maine last year, rented a cabin and did absolutely nothing for 4 days so we could be in cold temps and nickled and dimed to death with multiple small snowfalls. 

Haha I remember that last year. I drove 7 hours to New Hampshire for an 8 inch snowfall lmfao 

I’m mostly lurk here, but believe me there are far worse hobby cultures where people argue and lose sleep over model runs. Mine, in particular, becomes insufferable every other November. You snow chasers are a comparative breath of fresh air, plus I get to find out a wee bit ahead of the crowd if I may or may not see my town’s long drought of big snow finally end! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeeDeeHCue said:

I’m mostly lurk here, but believe me there are far worse hobby cultures where people argue and lose sleep over model runs. Mine, in particular, becomes insufferable every other November. You snow chasers are a comparative breath of fresh air, plus I get to find out a wee bit ahead of the crowd if I may or may not see my town’s long drought of big snow finally end! 

Haha, I’ve seen full blown arguments over the interpretation of model runs for 256 hours out here. Which to me is strictly worse than chasing a blizzard. At least blizzards are fun. Model runs always change anyways.  

That said, I’d personally never chase a blizzard. That would be time away from video games. Not happening. 

43 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

We have the dumbest of hobbies.  I don't know about anybody else, but sometimes I wish I was a normie.  My mom knew I was weird when I was 4.  It would be thundering and lightening outside, everybody going away from the windows and I'd sit in a chair at the window.  High school, calling my mom to hold the phone up to the TV at 11:20 tuned to the weather channel when the 5 day business planner came on.  I'm honestly surprised my mother just didn't throw the whole child away and start over.

This rings a bell. I remember being 5, 6, 7 years old, sitting on our back porch steps in northcentral PA, when the "heat lightning" was coming in hard after sunset in the summertime, watching and waiting for the inevitable thunderstorm that would blow up. Lightning would be setting down practically in our backyard, and my parents would be screaming at me, "Get inside the %#$&@ house!!" Good times.

I'm not smart enough at the math and the physics and all of the science-y stuff that goes into being a met...but it's what I've always wanted to be, from the time I was a kid.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I would dial the weather phone in Poughkeepsie NY multiple times per day in the winter waiting for the forecast to update. Still remember the number 452-1919 50 plus years later. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Clearly you aren’t the only one.  I didn’t have cable TV growing up, so I’d have to rely on Bob Ryan and calling WE6-1212. 

Today my phone told me that I spent almost 12 hours last week on this page.  My other pointless hobby (that I absolutely love) is Genealogy research. Hours and hours of time trying to find dead relatives. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

Clearly you aren’t the only one.  I didn’t have cable TV growing up, so I’d have to rely on Bob Ryan and calling WE6-1212. 

Today my phone told me that I spent almost 12 hours last week on this page.  My other pointless hobby (that I absolutely love) is Genealogy research. Hours and hours of time trying to find dead relatives. 

Similar obsessions. Here you’re trying to find dead storms.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

Hey which app tells ya how much time you spend on a particular page?

Yeah we ain't quite normal...lol And let me tell ya...I don't think this is a hobby you just choose. I was obsessed with snow before I ever found this site or knew what the heck a GFS was, lol In fact it was a snow obsession that drew me here. So when folks say "You should find another hobby"...I'm thinking...so I'm supposed to just stop loving snow? I think a number of us don't get into to just for the fun of it...but because we wanna snow "When's it gonna snow again?"...and that won't go away by just not being on the sight.

I fooled myself into thinking I could just write the winter off, and said I wasn't gonna come on here. That lasted all of two weeks, lol You can't not see/hear a weather forecast...so if you see snow potential on there, the urge becomes practically irresistible. You know this hobby can be bad for ya, but you keep getting drawn in! 

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah we ain't quite normal...lol And let me tell ya...I don't think this is a hobby you just choose. I was obsessed with snow before I ever found this site or knew what the heck a GFS was, lol In fact it was a snow obsession that drew me here. So when folks say "You should find another hobby"...I'm thinking...so I'm supposed to just stop loving snow? I think a number of us don't get into to just for the fun of it...but because we wanna snow "When's it gonna snow again?"...and that won't go away by just not being on the sight.

I fooled myself into thinking I could just write the winter off, and said I wasn't gonna come on here. That lasted all of two weeks, lol You can't not see/hear a weather forecast...so if you see snow potential on there, the urge becomes practically irresistible. You know this hobby can be bad for ya, but you keep getting drawn in! 

Damn right we loved snow growing up. Double Whammy January 1987 snowstorms and March 93 Superstorm got me into the hobby. The Internet allowed us to live our hobby in real time starting with tracking January 1996 blizzard.

Been in the NYC Metro group since 2012. Since I’m a born and raised North Jersey girl. Eastern before that. Moved to Branchland WV in 2020 so I’m gonna start reading this group now. I’m near the OH KY border. Rural WV. Although I still read NYC too as my brother is in the NYC forum and also back home. Hello Mid Atlantic group! 

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, colette11 said:

Been in the NYC Metro group since 2012. Since I’m a born and raised North Jersey girl. Eastern before that. Moved to Branchland WV in 2020 so I’m gonna start reading this group now. I’m near the OH KY border. Rural WV. Although I still read NYC too as my brother is in the NYC forum and also back home. Hello Mid Atlantic group! 

Hello and welcome to the mid-Atlantic Forum.  Where the snow weenies are nuts and the storms are getting nervous!  We're all crazy here, but since you're joining in, then what does that say?...well, I'll just leave it at that LOL! :lol:  Seriously though, it's a good group in here, and hope you have fun!

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic