Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

30 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We've wasted a few great ones since but that was the last classic hit. Last year had some great blocking. Upper air looked great plenty but when you opened up the 850 temp panels... ooof.... what a disaster. Lol

Last year was very frustrating in that regard.  It started in November, which was a ++++++AO nightmare which torched our source regions.  That broke down but was instantly replaced with weeks-long Pac puke in December.  By January even with great blocking there was no cold to be had in the entire hemisphere.  By mid February that finally changed, but by then our blocking went "poof" and the cold dumped into the southern plains leading to historic events there.  C'est la vie.

This is a pretty good setup for a "lower stress" event. Seems a bit quick but the trend to press down heights in the east started 2 days ago. Getting interesting now and it seemed like a big longshot just a day or 2 ago 

The perfect event is one that shows up 3 days out. 5 days out works.

I just like seeing the UKIE actually be a good sign that the EURO will improve for once. I want a return to model normalcy.

Well this has shown some interesting developments in the past couple of days.  I'm getting slightly more than mildly interested...hmmm.

@Bob Chill and @stormtracker, is this the same system that last week was an all-out cutter, pretty much?  I seem to recall that, and then it started getting pushed more south.

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

The perfect event is one that shows up 3 days out. 5 days out works.

I just like seeing the UKIE actually be a good sign that the EURO will improve for once. I want a return to model normalcy.

It's the type of event that I like. Mostly an overunnner and not developing synoptics that gets us. Models can hone in on these further out than anything like this weekend.

The more a front aligns W-E, the better our chances. We have some good history here with this type of event. My main concern is It's pretty abrupt after the warmup and it's the first cold air to hit. No models showed this 3 days ago. It was universally amplified and warm for this event. Not anymore and it's not far away. Interesting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

oof..that zr tho

Considering this entire evolution was an amped warm sector with little chance at the cold beating precip, recent developments are attention grabbing. I haven't seen a set of runs in the last 6 that didnt lower heights in the east leading in. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic