Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I mean we get about 3 months of winter.  We lost 1 in December.  Jan was OK. Barring a mid level warning event in Feb winter is on track for a grade of C+.  And that’s generous.    

Would be maybe a D grade for my yard. Still another 6 weeks or so of tracking possible but if winter ended today , it would be one of the lowest snow totals I've ever had in Smithsburg in the past 20 years or so. Sitting at about 10 so far. 

Really happy for areas further east though that has been able to cash in this month.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Would be maybe a D grade for my yard. Still another 6 weeks or so of tracking possible but if winter ended today , it would be one of the lowest snow totals I've ever had in Smithsburg in the past 20 years or so. Sitting at about 10 so far. 

Really happy for areas further east though that has been able to cash in this month.

Losing December hurt.  My area doesn’t see a lot in Dec but it was basically spring the entire month.  Oh well.  See what Feb brings. 

1 hour ago, SnowenOutThere said:

It is over 10 days out, lets just hope there is still a storm when we get there.

True. But I have zero confidence even if the storm is there. See I caught some flack for broad brushing ninas as all awful...but here we see again why it's hard to snow. Too much random junk in the NS that makes it hard to get anything substantial. And I guess the progressive nature of things is also another nina issue? (Not sure about that part)

53 minutes ago, frd said:

For once this actually fits the potential of the overrunning pattern.

Been thinking the same thing. Way too far out to care much about details for me so the storm itself isn't worth discussing but the fact that both op and ens are showing an active (legit) gradient pattern is noteworthy.

We've seen the look on ens a few times but ops always looked different and by the time the broad trough period moved forward into the mid range, it was just regular progressive quick ridge/troughs and not a big "bowl carve". This upcoming window (imo) is starting to really grab my attention. We do best with "broad bowls" with a dome of heavy cold air sprawling north of us. 

Eta: when I say "we do best" I mean snow comes the easiest. Not the biggest potential or high end storms. That's been off the table all year pretty much in the east. 

Eta2: this post ties back to my thoughts on available storm vectors. The Fri deal is literally a single lucky one lane vector. I never liked it once as I really do hate those setups. Not worth the time like 95% of the time. Broad bowls open up all of our good vectors of approach. Every single one. And the longer it repeats, odds get really good. 

• Like 8

We might reach climo in Baltimore this year which is a nice change but until we finally break the warning criteria drought, can’t go better than a C! Hopefully if we get into a boundary runner setup, we have enough tickets in that lottery to make one score like the GFS depicts. But it’s a long way away, say your goodbyes to it before the 12z…

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic