Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Just off the top of my head BWI had 11.5” in Feb 2014 in a +AO/NAO storm.  March 93 was a +AO/NAO. There is probably a bigger storm if I look through the records but I’m not home. 

But I said I don’t expect a hecs. Said that’s unlikely without blocking multiple times in the last couple weeks. But I can think of numerous examples of 4-8 or 6-12” storms in our area in a EPO/PNA driven pattern with no high lat help.  If anyone is expecting a hecs then I agree with you but I don’t think that’s what’s going on. I bet 90% here would take a 4-8” storm. 

Didn't realize that about 2/14. That was a heck of a storm for people, especially up your way.

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Let's bring it home .

Now yesterday's 18z Eps was also a nice shift until 0z lol  ....hopefully 2nd is a charm ( trend) :pepsi:

I’m with ya but I’m just having a hard time seeing this working here without a major change around the 96 hour mark, +/- 12 hours

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

The Gefs h5 individuals i posted earlier.  Some nice setups in the mix.

Yeah saw those but I’d like to see from 96-120 step by step. Really not sure how it did it. Maybe a phase in the center of the country? String consolidated ss low? Just can’t figure how this can work

27 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’m with ya but I’m just having a hard time seeing this working here without a major change around the 96 hour mark, +/- 12 hours

There are 3 synoptic scenarios showing up.
 1) the NS doesn’t dive in far enough SW to phase with the STJ at all and just becomes a late development NS miller b. That was the favored progression on guidance 24-48 hours ago. 

2) the NS digs further west but leaves some energy behind then actually has a messy phase with a weaker stj wave further east off the SE coast. That’s the current favored setup and that still won’t work. 
3) this has only shown up on a few runs but it’s a perfectly reasonable possibility. The NS digs further SW but doesn’t elongate and split such that the phase happens with the stj wave In the gulf not the one off the SE coast. That’s what we need. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

1) the NS doesn’t dive in far enough SW to phase with the STJ at all and just becomes a late development NS miller b. That was the favored progression on guidance 24-48 hours ago. 

2) the NS digs further west but leaves some energy behind then actually has a messy phase with a weaker stj wave further east off the SE coast. That’s the current favored setup and that still won’t work. 
3) this has only shown up on a few runs but it’s a perfectly reasonable possibility. The NS digs further SW but doesn’t elongate and split such that the phase happens with the stj wave In the gulf not the one off the SE coast. That’s what we need. 

3 please

33 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Thanks for this. I had a general idea of what we needed, but this adds to it.   Every time I see the "stretchy" (elongated)  trough, I hate it.  As soon as I see it, I know things prob won't go well for us.

5 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Thanks for this. I had a general idea of what we needed, but this adds to it.   Every time I see the "stretchy" (elongated)  trough, I hate it.  As soon as I see it, I know things prob won't go well for us.

The only way that would work would take a crazy ridiculous capture and tuck scenario off the SE coast that’s VERY rare.  The simpler path, and we do better with simple, is for the energy not to split and have the NS just phase with the further west stj wave in the gulf. Then we don’t need as radical a trough amplification to win. 

• Like 1

@stormtracker this feature isn’t doing us any favors. It’s preventing the key SW behind it from amplifying by flattening the flow some right in front. Simply it’s not enough wave spacing.
79E8D0B0-6589-42DB-B093-DB7FA84724A2.thumb.jpeg.5400d55288c9c267255c8c8eb2bf08ae.jpeg

We’re now at a range it’s safe to say that’s real but the timing can adjust. Weaker and faster with that feature is better imo. Slower and stronger with the next SW is better.  Increase the spacing between those SWs would help.  

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic