Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

5 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Wait...12z GFS gives us flakes with a dusting to an 1". 12z CMC gives the corridor 2-4" with 4-8" on the shore. Pretty close on those two models to being a bigger hit for us. A few minor tweaks with those runs and we have a coastal hit. We don't need some change of massive proportions with those 2 model runs. 

Not basing things verbatim off of models....just using them as a blend for guidance. Especially weighing more heavily on the ens still ar this range. If I were just looking at the cmc or gfs then I might agree. But looking at the overall flow across N America and into the Atl region, looking at ens members and means, and looking at recent systems as well as traditional Nina regimes, this one just isn't giving me the warm fuzzies. I'm done debbing (though just being realistic tbh) on this one...its the last I will mention my thoughts on it for today in lieu of upsetting folks which isn't my m.o.

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Not basing things verbatim off of models....just using them as a blend for guidance. Especially weighing more heavily on the ens still ar this range. If I were just looking at the cmc or gfs then I might agree. But looking at the overall flow across N America and into the Atl region, looking at ens members and means, and looking at recent systems as well as traditional Nina regimes, this one just isn't giving me the warm fuzzies. I'm done debbing (though just being realistic tbh) on this one...its the last I will mention my thoughts on it for today in lieu of upsetting folks which isn't my m.o.

Makes sense. I agree. General pattern does not scream a wrapped up, slow moving coastal. Best case is quick moving coastal with 2-4" - 4-8". 

I still rather have this thing east than west at this range. Rarely do I see storms move back east when we see a rain event, but we all the time see events move west on us...usually giving us rain as a result. I can live with a day or two of missed model runs for the hope that by mid-week the models are back with a solid hit on us.

That said, a fish spinner is definitely possible too. Just hoping that's not the way it goes :)

Latest from Sterling NWS.

Most solutions (in both deterministic and
ensemble guidance) favor surface cyclogenesis in response to this
upper trough occurring well offshore. Some snow showers appear
likely as lift attendant to the trough progresses through during the
day on Friday. If the developing coastal low were to trend further
north and west, there could be a more substantial snowfall, but that
solution currently appears unlikely. Conditions should be windy on
Sunday as the rapidly deepening coastal low departs off to our
northeast.

• Sad 3

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic