SnowHabit
NW Trend For the Win! (1/21-1/22 2022 storm) Obs Thread

2 minutes ago, LakeNormanStormin said:

Update from Cornelius, Lake Norman

Grass and sidewalks beginning to cover

Been in a nice band the past hour

Honestly more than I thought we'd see here

20220121_212321.jpg

seems accumulations are band dependent.  If you got under a good band, you have solid accums.  If you haven't...you're not looking at much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Any mets on social media chiming in about lower rates in the Triangle or honking be patient.

The forecast looks pretty spot on to me so far.  There are still several hours at least of snow to go and we already have about an inch in southern Wake.  Most predictions I saw for this area were in the 1-3" range.

1 minute ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

Raleigh is likely going to bust. Congratulations to those who got good snows. I am really happy for Mitch, they deserve it down there.

Wait- we have over a half inch of snow, predicted to get 2-4, and it’s supposed to snow until 2 or 3. What am I missing from the panic???

• Like 6

Just now, StantonParkHoya said:

Maybe my KPIs don’t align with most. I use inches more so as a guide for duration. Duration = time of enjoyment. Time of enjoyment = period of snow falling.

Do people really derive enjoyment out of pulling a ruler out of their back pocket and measuring?

Yes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Maybe my KPIs don’t align with most. I use inches more so as a guide for duration. Duration = time of enjoyment. Time of enjoyment = period of snow falling.

Do people really derive enjoyment out of pulling a ruler out of their back pocket and measuring?

Exactly. Stop staring at the radar and worrying about what could go wrong or busting and go enjoy it. This is Rocky Mountain powder and snowing steady with plenty to go

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

We’re about 15 minutes north of North Hills off of Six Forks and it’s pretty much a flizzard.  Still beautiful but no accumulation.  Is it the same where you are?

I’m in North Hills, near Douglas Elementary. It’s very light atm, but we’re probably close to 1”. Rates and ratios should increase soon. Would guess we’ll land around 3”. Couldn’t be happier

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blue Ridge said:

It’s powder city in the Triangle and we’ve got dudes crying bust because we might not hit warning criteria. 

Ignore list is getting more of a workout tonight than the ruler, and I’m fine with that. 

^^^ this. After last few winters if you’re in Raleigh and not loving this I don’t have much to say! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoshWeather said:

the guy that said its going to bust has been one of the two most pessimistic people on this board i've seen over the last few weeks.  Hes constantly calling bust. Just ignore

I know I been reading his post. At some point it becomes an annoyance. If he doesn’t know how to interpret radar and satellite imagery there’s enough of us in here that can teach him. But to scream bust with every storm, every setup, it gets old. Just stop looking at the model data and move on. Honestly that’s probably the issue, looking at model data in the present which conflicts with radar/satellite imagery.

7 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Odd. Been in snows ranging from 30” to white rain and some of my favorites occurred when it snowed for 18 hours and amounted to a couple inches.

I think most people down here see snow so little and it melts so fast they want totals over duration. For me, there’s nothing better than watching it snow from sunrise to sunset. But in the end I’d prefer higher totals over duration in hopes it sticks around for more than 1 or 2 days to enjoy with the kids. 

For reference, the storm last week was Charlotte’s first 1” or more snow in 1,133 days. Pretty dismal. Every snow could be the last one we see for years so emotions run high with every one. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Avdave said:

Endeavor Air landed on 5L/22R at RDU has slid off the runway in a CRJ9 aircraft. 19 souls on board but havent heard of any injuries. There are a handful of birds circling over the airport waiting on clearance to land

DL 5501 maybe? DCA to RDU. Looks like another Delta/Endeavor (JFK to RDU) was re-routed to CHO. 

edit: you mentioned the redirect in a separate comment. My bad.