Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 21 - 22 Weekend SE VA and Eastern Shore Snow

stormtracker

13 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That’s a keeper! My fiancée (now wife) has no interest whatsoever in wx but was my partner on (my) our Midwest storm chase last spring. I paid for travel and treated her to whatever food she wanted each night. She drove. Doesn’t sound like a lot, but it was like 5,000 miles.

Teamwork makes the dream work lol.

I've been on over ten chases since 2013. I decided to take the girl on a chase this year. We left last Sunday to head to Erie or near there. Had booked a few places depending on last second model shifts (from experience). Except my "experience" really paid off when we left at 10am and gave up near New Kensington Pitt at around 8pm. I accidentally took the turnpike instead of going N from Philly and then west to avoid the storm. Drove through some of the heaviest snow of my life. At least the place we made it to got like 8 inches or so and we drove through blizzard conditions at Somerset PA on way home from upslope LES. 

Regardless, it was still fun and worth it for that bonding time haha. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Herb@MAWS said:

Pulled this from a NWS site.  Not perfect, but better.  Certainly one can easily question this breakout for climate/weather purposes (e.g, MD and DE in NE US; or KS in the South !?)

needs a Mid-Atlantic region!

U.S. Climate Regions

Yes. The only way Va is ever included in the southeast is because of the civil war. No geographical reason for ever doing that.

For those hoping for flakes to make it north of the Potomac, keep an eye on Dewpoint trends today. Model runs that get snow into the area, such as the FV3, don’t really have a stronger or more NW low. They have less of a dry air push which allows the precip shield to expand to the north. The metros are out of the game for accumulating snow, but there could definitely be mood flakes this evening

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Terrapinwx said:

For those hoping for flakes to make it north of the Potomac, keep an eye on Dewpoint trends today. Model runs that get snow into the area, such as the FV3, don’t really have a stronger or more NW low. They have less of a dry air push which allows the precip shield to expand to the north. The metros are out of the game for accumulating snow, but there could definitely be mood flakes this evening

And here in Richmond Metro area my 1.5” I got yesterday evening could be duplicated.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF changed the title to Jan 21 - 22 Weekend SE VA and Eastern Shore Snow
2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

LOL. Nevada is part of the "west coast?" CT, OK and St. Louis are off on their own? TX and LA are lumped under the former? WTF even IS this hot garbage used for??

Why are Cape Girardeau and Southern Illinois considered to be part of St. Louis?

I'm also annoyed about the Eastern Canada thing.  East of Quebec is called the Maritimes.  And somehow the provinces west of Ontario don't seem to deserve any type of designation.

7 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

Why are Cape Girardeau and Southern Illinois considered to be part of St. Louis?

I'm also annoyed about the Eastern Canada thing.  East of Quebec is called the Maritimes.  And somehow the provinces west of Ontario don't seem to deserve any type of designation.

As someone who is relocating to that area (ish) this year... this is actually extremely funny to me. STL considered its own thing when no other city gets that treatment. Great stuff.

13 minutes ago, The Ole Bucket said:

As someone who is relocating to that area (ish) this year... this is actually extremely funny to me. STL considered its own thing when no other city gets that treatment. Great stuff.

Story about me and St. Louis, just because:  About a decade ago my mom and I went there because my grandma was unwell.  One morning, when watching the local news, there was a story about a neighborhood where the residents were concerned about how big and old the trees were and the damage they could cause to houses.  One resident was interviewed in front of her house, and I recognized it immediately.  It was the house my mom grew up in.

I got stuck overnight at Scott AFB about 15 years ago due to an overperforming snowstorm. I was supposed to fly out in the evening, but flights got cancelled. Had a few pleasant Jebwalks that evening while getting set up in executive quarters for the night...though it probably would have been a little more fun getting stuck in the city itself!

And that's my St. Louis story.

2 hours ago, Herb@MAWS said:

Pulled this from a NWS site.  Not perfect, but better.  Certainly one can easily question this breakout for climate/weather purposes (e.g, MD and DE in NE US; or KS in the South !?)

needs a Mid-Atlantic region!

U.S. Climate Regions

Surprising that the NWS map doesn't have a separate St. Louis climate zone.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wasnow215 said:

Can we please switch the US map disco to banter?  It’s ran it’s course anyway lol.

Yeah I pop in here thinking the lower coastal plain folks would be excited about some snow, and all I see is discussion about bad geography.

ofc we probably don't have many here who give a crap about the Lower eastern shore/southeastern VA.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 87storms said:

there's not much at the surface with this one and the trough is positive.  definitely interested in what va beach ends up with, though.  could be impactful for that area...snow at the beach.

One thing is for sure. If we sneak a couple flakes they won’t be melting 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic