• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS-NOWCAST for potential significant 6 hour Thursday morning (1/20/22) commute impact general 1-3" snowfall.

wdrag

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I've come to expect around 22 inches as the average here.  If you look up 30 year 30" snowfall averages we don't seem to get them anymore-- the last 30 year average barely missed.

The 30 year average for the park and la guardia are both 29.8 inches. 

Actually Central Parks is 29.9 when you add it all up but NOAA posted it as 29.8. Either way it rounds to 30. 

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

The 30 year average for the park and la guardia are both 29.8 inches. 

Actually Central Parks is 29.9 when you add it all up but NOAA posted it as 29.8. Either way it rounds to 30. 

It took an extremely anomalous 2 decades (2000s and 2010s) to get us there though.  Most other decades were extremely lackluster.  We just accept that we simply aren't far enough north and are way too close to the ocean to be a snowy city.  Gotta be Boston on north to get the really good stuff.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

It took an extremely anomalous 2 decades (2000s and 2010s) to get us there though.  Most other decades were extremely lackluster.  We just accept that we simply aren't far enough north and are way too close to the ocean to be a snowy city.  Gotta be Boston on north to get the really good stuff.

You could say the same about the decades of the 1970’s 1980’s and 1990’s. They were anomalously low. They were actually the three least snowiest decades of all the decades since 1870. 

It all depends on your perspective. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

You could say the same about the decades of the 1970’s 1980’s and 1990’s. They were anomalously low. They were actually the three least snowiest decades of all the decades since 1870. 

It all depends on your perspective. 

1970s and 1980s especially,  I'll never forget those 2 amazing winters we had in the 1990s, 1993-94 an 1995-96, they made up for all the bad years that came before.

1 hour ago, HVSnowLover said:

They delayed schools here for a dusting on grass. It was honestly amusing. I think the ice event a few weeks ago scared people. 

I had almost 2 inches and at the time the buses were running it was coming down pretty good. Our streets had accumulation and the plow came by. But I do agree that the icing a week or so ago made people wary plus we are living in generation wussy. Public school never closed when I was growing up. Currently 12 degrees heading down to zero. 

I saw some complaints about delays/cancels.  While cancels seem a little severe for what was indicated yesterday, I definitely think delays were warranted for any community with buses traveling steep hills (like Sussex County NJ)... I work for the county and am familiar with travel here. It's difficult in snow that is sticking. 

Here are the CoCoRaHs reports from yesterday...a disappointment, especially  via the SPC HREF, HRRR, NAM (I saw the positive comment on the RGEM). In this situation, there was a cold model bias in the USA modeling the BL and we lost probably 2-3 hours of snow of the expected 6. That's the difference between a good model forecast and mediocre. If interested, please click the graphics for greater clarity. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.10.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.11.27 PM.png

• Thanks 2