• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS-NOWCAST for potential significant 6 hour Thursday morning (1/20/22) commute impact general 1-3" snowfall.

wdrag

0z RGEM looks terrible. This is rain changing to snow too, so we're dealing with a warm wet ground at the start. Light snow like RGEM is showing isn't gonna cut it. This is really starting to look like a non event. I was hoping some of those earlier NAM and HRRR runs were a good sign, but it appears not. This is looking like maybe an inch on colder surfaces.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

the so called great pattern we were in never materialized..

Well the climate indices were pretty well forecast. But every day, the geopotential height fields and jet stream alignments are different. "Patterns" are loosely defined... and they don't cause snowstorms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

the so called great pattern we were in never materialized..

In hindsight this pattern looked good from afar but everything seemed to destructively interfere with one another.

The fast flow never let up and when it did the blocking was insufficient so we had a major cutter. At least we got some snow out of it. 

After the 30th I think we're skunked till Feb 15-20th the earliest but then again we've also had snow in much warmer patterns so who knows. 

I continue to believe Feb 20 - March 15/20 will be our snowiest period. It aligns with the east based Nina & QBO pattern. 

Anyway enjoy the inch you get bc it could be the last one for a while.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Rgem has busted alot. Let's see who does best tomorrow. 

I've found RGEM to be a very good model, but we'll see. I'm certainly rooting to see more snow tomorrow. Would love to see 3 inches with it accumulating on pavement well, but right now I'm thinking more like 1 inch mostly on colder surfaces. Hopefully I'm wrong.