• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Thursday AM Jan 20 Anafront snow threat.

Sey-Mour Snow

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

yeah, but just as you said, juice/track aside it's still a quick hitter. But weirder things have happened, if you get some meso stuff happening along the front?

looks like there may be a little meso-low that pops along the front...that would help with keeping precip going a little longer. These things are always super challenging. Once out of every like 20 setups you get an overproducer.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

looks like there may be a little meso-low that pops along the front...that would help with keeping precip going a little longer. These things are always super challenging. Once out of every like 20 setups you get an overproducer.

What do you think about a lot of the lift seeming to be below the snow growth zone?

8 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

What do you think about a lot of the lift seeming to be below the snow growth zone?

That's where I get a little fuzzy on, but I believe in these type of setups that doesn't necessarily matter much. If the llvls are sufficiently cold and you're relying more on llvl dynamics than mid-levels you can still get heavier precipitation rates and decent snow growth. It's an instance where the majority of the focus is within the llvls. 

Sort of like with low-topped convection...you're really utilizing the llvl of the atmosphere and not very worried about mid/upper levels. 

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

That's where I get a little fuzzy on, but I believe in these type of setups that doesn't necessarily matter much. If the llvls are sufficiently cold and you're relying more on llvl dynamics than mid-levels you can still get heavier precipitation rates and decent snow growth. It's an instance where the majority of the focus is within the llvls. 

Sort of like with low-topped convection...you're really utilizing the llvl of the atmosphere and not very worried about mid/upper levels. 

Cool, thx

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I guess the one thing going for this is that the mesos will likely be the ones that catch this first...that's exactly what happened in other similar events in Jan 2013 and Feb 2016.

Is it expected to produce severe weather down south? The line looks kinda nasty on sim radar.

5 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Is it expected to produce severe weather down south? The line looks kinda nasty on sim radar.

SPC has marginal risks down there.

NAM is by far the most robust of guidance, but the GFS and RGEM are actually supporting a smaller event. Euro/Ukie are kind of on their own with zilch. If GFS/RGEM ramp up a bit here at 18z, then I'll probably toss the Euro completely.

• Like 1