Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Thursday 1/20/22 Stat Padder Discussion and Observations

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

You are in Cockeyesville? In Hunt Valley its small flakes and still mixing with rain. Does not look like that here at all haha

He's got a little more elevation than the office, probably started snowing at his house before it did at work. 

Dusting here!

• Like 3

Amazing how critical a degree or two always is. Westminster ASOS, elevation 791 ft, is 36 degrees. Meanwhile, Site R, at 900 feel, is 32 and snow, and Camp David, over 1,000 ft, is 28. Cold air is just off the deck, but can't mix in. Seems like if we want to maximize a rapid changeover, we need a small wave along the front to pull the colder air down, otherwise these events bust on the warm side more often than not. These are no win events for NWS, DOTs, schools, et al because someone is mad at you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Yeah, I think he's got a couple hundred feet more. Hunt valley is like 400 ft. and where he is might be 650ft. or even higher.

Agreed. I remember when I lived on the east side of Cockeysville, it would be raining at my place while snowing at his hahaha 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

You are in Cockeyesville? In Hunt Valley its small flakes and still mixing with rain. Does not look like that here at all haha

10 minutes ago, mappy said:

He's got a little more elevation than the office, probably started snowing at his house before it did at work. 

Dusting here!

8 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Yeah, I think he's got a couple hundred feet more. Hunt valley is like 400 ft. and where he is might be 650ft. or even higher.

Yup, you got it! I'm just over 600', and in an event like this with warm ground temps, a couple hundred feet can make a big difference.

Still coming down heavily.

QyEm8eP.jpg

• Like 4

• H2O unpinned this topic