Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday 1/20/22 Stat Padder Discussion and Observations

stormtracker

On 1/17/2022 at 11:32 AM, baltosquid said:

Tracking frontal systems with brief rain before similarly brief back end snow just feels like watching whiffs in the making, but I would take some mood flakes during the work day all the same. Even if the best case is 1 inch, that should stick around given there's a chance we don't crack 30 degrees for a couple of days afterwards!

Spoiler: we did not and will not reach the best case here in Canton. Still raining. Feels like any other anafrontal system… pretty embarrassing failure by the American models, mesos, global and ensemble alike. I will say the FV3 hi-res was toying with a steeper angle to the front and thus little to nothing for a bit but ultimately it gave up on that and went back to seeing snow. Oh well, I guess I’ll just try to be mindful of the icing threat once things finally cool down. Congrats to those who managed to scrape out something from this.

13 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

And like Bubbler said ...its instant stickage whoever is getting snow for the most part . Ground temps have been pretty cold . Yesterday's 40-45 n+w didn't change that much . Just a couple hour delay with surface temp drop killed the 1-3" opportunity.  Hey...at least its snowing :). Any snow is good snow .

It's wound down here but indeed, everything is white again.  Although the temps did not work out for the best, it is still snow on snow. 

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Probably gonna end up being pretty here...but...it took too damn long to start and I need to go to downtown baltimore now so will miss the snow falling. Hope it looks nice to those who are home where the snow has finally started. 

Bro, you're totally sick and the car won't start. Gotta stay home. ;) 

• Haha 3

Obs:  39 with rain on snow on snow on snow.  The glacier, which has been on my deck since Jan. 3 is really hurting.  Doesn't seem reinforcements are on the way.

22 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

They are REALLY closing schools these days for basically nothing.

Am I missing something here?

Do they have to make up the days at the end of the year still?

These morning rush hour storms put the schools in an impossible position.  They have to decide on a delay by 5 AM and a closure by 7 AM.  With the forecast at that time still calling for a changeover around 8 with possible accumulation, so they take the safe option.  Otherwise, they risk getting pilloried if a school bus slides off the road.  Glad I don't have to make the decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• H2O unpinned this topic