Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 17 Kitchen sink storm/obs

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Kinda interesting to hear people talking about the wind. Nearly dead calm here. BW is closed today due to 70+ gusts on the summit.

Always neat to see these microclimate differences around here. 

I'm not sure if it's because I'm on the side of a hill, but it's been ripping all morning with windblown drifts. My anno is only reporting a max gust of 28MPH, but it's protected from the winds with a lot of mature trees. I was also without power for a couple hours, and also dealing with transmitter battery issues. The wind has been more exciting than the snow. I think I got only around 6", but it's all drifts out there, so I'm going to have to report a guess on the New England snow website.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Looks like you held on to some decent snow after all. The 3 inches that fell in MD last night were totally obliterated by 5 hours of heavy 38 degree rain.

The 3.5” glacier survived and we had 2.5” last night . Everything is gonna be a block of ice later today .. if we get light snow this evening to cover the roads.. it’ll be a sheet 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Kinda interesting to hear people talking about the wind. Nearly dead calm here. BW is closed today due to 70+ gusts on the summit.

Always neat to see these microclimate differences around here. 

We are dead calm on Mansfield east side despite summit gusting 90mph on the radio towers.  No real lift issues either.  Meanwhile Bolton was completely shut down on west side.

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

Over 6"? Figured you would do well on this one.

Pretty happy with our 4" before it went over, compacted down to about 2" of slop now. 

@radarman, any idea how much at Berkshire East? First storm of the year on a holiday weekend and no report, got to love their communication! hahaha

10-12" dense up top, all the trails and East Glades open.  Chairs loaded at 830, SN+ til 10AM, then maybe 15 mins of -RN that made things sticky.  But right back to heavy snow, huge flakes.  Still pounding now as we head off to work.  

8 minutes ago, radarman said:

10-12" dense up top, all the trails and East Glades open.  Chairs loaded at 830, SN+ til 10AM, then maybe 15 mins of -RN that made things sticky.  But right back to heavy snow, huge flakes.  Still pounding now as we head off to work.  

That's great news! 

It's been rain here for about an hour.  Glad I cleared the snow early, it's like moving wet cement now.  This will be a glacier by tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

8 at the measuring stick now.

Mitch must be double digits by now.

Its crushing in the last batch moving through with wind way down.  I had 8.3" a little while ago--might be able to squeeze out double digits even here.  Surprisingly not that much less than Mitch had.  Think the wind and ratios just played havoc on the higher end totals overnight in SVT.   

Just super dense base builder stuff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Its crushing in the last batch moving through with wind way down.  I had 8.3" a little while ago--might be able to squeeze out double digits even here.  Surprisingly not that much less than Mitch had.  Think the wind and ratios just played havoc on the higher end totals overnight in SVT.   

Just super dense base builder stuff. 

Yeah, looking like thick slab snow for sure. Best base stuff. This weekend's temps will be perfect for consolidation to lock it in.

21 minutes ago, BIsound said:

I know most talking snow, but ocean is absolutely wild. waves overtopping dunes. temp 45 degrees, inch of rain. winds hit 55-60 at weather station in Trustum Pond national wildlife refuge( my peak gust at 45 but somewhat protected from southeast winds). local report of 77 mph on Newport bridge

The local cod are hunkered down today!

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I was hoping we'd slot, but looks like pack damage is incoming.  Hopefully not too bad as it would be nice to keep some softness in the pack for best hiking.  Maybe Gene can hang onto frozen as that ugly batch of run comes north.

I don't think so.   26.9F  Light to moderate snow but sleet line is 5 miles SE.  Changeover anytime.

2 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Over 6"? Figured you would do well on this one.

Pretty happy with our 4" before it went over, compacted down to about 2" of slop now. 

@radarman, any idea how much at Berkshire East? First storm of the year on a holiday weekend and no report, got to love their communication! hahaha

Eric says 10. Dumping

webcam-0.jpg

• Like 3