Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 17 Kitchen sink storm/obs

Typhoon Tip

9 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

I'm in litchfield county, 5 miles from the MA border, and alb just upped the hogh end to 14", so 8-14 now

Just based off of events in the past I think Winsted will be about the line with this one. Seems like all these mixed bag events really start falling off south of there. The oct storm sticks out to me the most. Winsted got  a foot+ and torrington only got around 4-6 inches depending on where in town u were. We got a bit more here in the hilltop.

18 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I thought it was moving fast but it’s been snowing in much of CT for a long time and it still is nothing out there here. No flakes.

I just hope it doesn’t delay so badly that by the time it’s here the warm air is already here. Doesn’t feel “fast” to me at all.

It’s moving fast to the NNE 

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

26.1 and just about 1" of new snow

Southbury, CT

Much colder air remaining longer points west of hartford. I’m much further north than you but I’m well east of Hartford in Windham county… it’s about 30 degrees now and rising pretty quickly. It was 25 around 5pm. Even more scary, the precip just hasn’t made it in here yet.

23 minutes ago, WhiteLawns said:

Just based off of events in the past I think Winsted will be about the line with this one. Seems like all these mixed bag events really start falling off south of there. The oct storm sticks out to me the most. Winsted got  a foot+ and torrington only got around 4-6 inches depending on where in town u were. We got a bit more here in the hilltop.

It wouldn’t surprise me - while here in Washington Depot it’s not all that far from Winsted on the map, there often seems to be a world of difference between the on-the-ground totals here vs. there.

FWIW, currently 22 degrees and snow accumulating (but I’m too tired and lazy to open the door and walk outside to measure - before the snow started falling there were still some patches of snow on the ground here and there, but much or most from the last small accumulation had disappeared by sunset).

13 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Look at those ESE winds heat the exposed areas SE ct 40 close to water . Temps rushing toward 32 out to 128 West of Boston .

Cheap high at KBOS this evening; it was 26˚ at 2000 and now 34˚ and climbing. Quite a gradient roughly along Route 1 north of 128 per wundermap stations; 33 east of it, 22 west, and temps climbing over the course of the hour likely given the wind shift. Those stations (this one for example) in the mid-30s were in the mid-10s at 2000.53140105_ScreenShot2022-01-16at23_20_29.thumb.png.5082e6363354cbd4e30da5e81c3196d8.png

It appears we are trapped under a pocket of extra dry air. It’s been snowing for hours now in much of Southwestern CT and I’m told it is moving fast but like I complained earlier…. It is not here. And I’m not very far away from places like Southington or North Haven.

But, that screw zone is modeled over northern New London County, of which the border lies about 1 mile to my west as the crow flies. A screw zone combo of dry air meets warm air.

I’m within the southern boundary of the zone calling for 2-4 inches but at this point I am not feeling confident. The radar is highly hallucinogenic. 

what has happened to me was I got myself worked up into a delusion of expecting a solid thump to occur shortly after the southwest zones got going, in addition to taking in all the fan fare of this storm from people all over the northeast, and seeing a few sporadic promising model runs that included my spot in several inch snows. 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

It appears we are trapped under a pocket of extra dry air. It’s been snowing for hours now in much of Southwestern CT and I’m told it is moving fast but like I complained earlier…. It is not here. And I’m not very far away from places like Southington or North Haven.

There is dry air to overcome and seems to be spreading faster more North than East.   I'm 14mi from VT border and have had flurries for the past 20-30 minutes.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BuildingScienceWx said:

SN, 1.3" new. 25.2F. Everything seems to align with latest HRRR for this area. Changeover likely around 2am or so. 

Seems a little liberal to me, i think well be done by 1AM. Hope you're right though. Might be able to pull 3-4 if so but i think ill end up ~2" which is about where i have the 0-2/2-4 line so thats good. 

HVN and BDR are already gone. HVN reporting UP 50 minutes ago and 35. Quite a gradient across the cost and interior. Prospect is still hovering around 21/22

13 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There is dry air to overcome and seems to be spreading faster more North than East.   I'm 14mi from VT border and have had flurries for the past 20-30 minutes.

It is. You can see precip getting knocked back in the eastern zones, although you can see the juice is just south of the coast in eastern New England.

00z and later model runs are, in contrast to the current mood, really starting to beef up snowfall amounts further southeast, maybe reflecting colder dryer air fails to budge much.