• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Arctic cold and new threat emerges for the 26th. Patience Grasshoppers.

Ginx snewx

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Drove through Waterbury on the way to BTV this afternoon… the best snowpack between here and there was in Waterbury, exit 10 area to the Hydro Dam.  That area gets smoked on ESE flow… right up the Winooski Valley into the Spine, elevation doesn’t seem to matter.  What a stunning drive though, just pasty snow the whole way.

Clearly he is in a great climo spot. I can see how some would doubt his obs since he often handily beats even the ski peaks at under 500' elevation. IMO, he is way too precise and consistent with his reporting for any of his reports to be fraudulent. He leaves way too much of a paper trail for a hoaxster. LOL

No blurry Bigfoot images or grainy UFO videos in his obs. I love his reports and dedication.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Crazy micro climates. Last night we had a wet paste squall and because of some work obligations I had the joy of riding from Columbia Ct to Putnam Ct by mostly backroads. Atop my street at 785 feet it was an absolute paste job, when the full moon came out it had that Hoth look. Gorgeous stuff

The power line up the driveway along the Mountain Road... caked.  The wind has been blowing off the dry snow, but the melted and then frozen snow has left an icy glaze on the trees.  Hopefully it can all fall off before the power goes out in a gale.

1340231864_SnowPowerLine.thumb.jpg.73b07cb7bd91ca3435e92979e2c99a44.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’ve never gone snowmobiling. I’m guessing there’s a way to do it without owning my own snowmobile?

There are tour companies but they can be pricey. The one in Stowe is like $199 for a 2 hour tour. That includes everything, equipment, some safety training and a guided tour. I’ve done it in Quebec and it was similar. 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The power line up the driveway along the Mountain Road... caked.  The wind has been blowing off the dry snow, but the melted and then frozen snow has left an icy glaze on the trees.  Hopefully it can all fall off before the power goes out in a gale.

1340231864_SnowPowerLine.thumb.jpg.73b07cb7bd91ca3435e92979e2c99a44.jpg

I remember my brothers telling me when they worked on the Alaska pipeline how there was a crew whose sole job was to knock ice off of temporary power lines 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

There are tour companies but they can be pricey. The one in Stowe is like $199 for a 2 hour tour. That includes everything, equipment, some safety training and a guided tour. I’ve done it in Quebec and it was similar. 

Place we went last year in Vermont was $140 for 2 hours, I'd like to buy one but not sure I would use it enough to justify the cost.

30 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

72 Ford Torino here. Put that thing in reverse going 40 and it shifted better than ever after that lol. #cantkillit. My dad had an alligator clip lead to ground the am radio and it gave me a little shock when I tried to put it back on after it fell off while driving. Knocked my hand into the shifter thingamajig. Put 9 people in once in college and fried the wheel bearings. Loved that car. Drove another the faster you went.

My first car was a 72 Torino, red with a black Landau top, loved that car.

28 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’ve never gone snowmobiling. I’m guessing there’s a way to do it without owning my own snowmobile?

Never gone...careful! It's addictive! And modern sleds with the motorcycle riding position are SO comfortable compared to years ago. I gave up riding four years ago because of a new house, marriage etc and can't wait to own sleds again...someday

There’s a clipper that keeps showing up … Tues. even in the models that don’t, there are gaps there and ‘nature abhors a vacuum’ in either principle or practice - that’s code for those perhaps filling one if that’s isn’t already happening  

There’s only so much room for that to amplify due to flow compression … but it could be good for an instability bursty 2-3 ..4” It’s also settling into that pattern look we’ve been eying that appears otherwise destined to fail  … I didn’t personally feel comfortable about threading for either the 22nd or 24th because of the way spacing and tensions in the destructive interference it’s everywhere in the flow… Hoping that would iron its way out but it didn’t and apparently it’s just gonna go down that way. 

I think part of the problem is that “good pattern“ was also one hosting flow compression, yet again … caught up with a models. And that’s been an ongoing problem where the models tend to slow the flow down too far in the extended and then have to speed it right back up again; that’s  introducing a +Delta( negative interference) overtime  

Anyway …watching a clipper …for now  but low confidence overall 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UnitedWx said:

Never gone...careful! It's addictive! And modern sleds with the motorcycle riding position are SO comfortable compared to years ago. I gave up riding four years ago because of a new house, marriage etc and can't wait to own sleds again...someday

You’ll have to sell some of that stuff to get back into sledding. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

In northern Maine, places will rent em to you by the day.  A couple hundred bucks a day on average… give or take.  But you gotta have your own gear, or it’s extra if you don’t.  As has been mentioned, it’s pricey, but if you’ve never done it, it’s a relatively cheap way(compared to purchasing your own sled), to see if you like it.  As others have said, the new modern sleds are amazing, and have come so far. It’s a great winter sport/hobby. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dendrite said:

Steve doesn’t really like day 7 threads. There’s just bad mojo hanging over the thread. 

IF we start a Grinch Storm 2020 thread right now there is a pretty good chance it materializes (and few folks would be disappointed if it did not).

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Wood pile going down fast

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

You guys must be getting crushed up North with $3+ oil and propane.

Efficiency Maine has an awesome heating fuel cost calculator. The prices on the website are actual average fuel prices that Maine gathers. The current data is from Jan 3rd.

Anyone using propane could have saved $3k+ this winter using a heat pump or wood/pellets. 

Current average winter heating cost per fuel.

Wood $1,169

Pellets $1,712

Heat pump $1,795

Oil $3,027

Propane $4,728

https://www.efficiencymaine.com/at-home/heating-cost-comparison/

• Like 1

You guys must be getting crushed up North with $3+ oil and propane.
Efficiency Maine has an awesome heating fuel cost calculator. The prices on the website are actual average fuel prices that Maine gathers. The current data is from Jan 3rd.
Anyone using propane could have saved $3k+ this winter using a heat pump or wood/pellets. 
Current average winter heating cost per fuel.
Wood $1,169
Pellets $1,712
Heat pump $1,795
Oil $3,027
Propane $4,728

https://www.efficiencymaine.com/at-home/heating-cost-comparison/
Electric rates were just jacked so heat pumps not as good analternative as they were

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Electric rates were just jacked so heat pumps not as good analternative as they were

The new rate is reflected in the current chart at .22 kwh. It was .18 last month so it did jump substantially but will still save you a fortune over propane. 

You have a Mitsubishi heat pump right? 

The huge benefit with heat pumps people don't realize is in addition to powering them with renewable energy, electricity prices are extremely stable compared to oil/gas/propane. In most states electric rates are heavily state regulated and adjusted in price on Jan 1st and June 1st. I'm on solar but if I had to buy the electricity to run my heat pumps my fuel price would be the same until June 1st. 

4 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

In northern Maine, places will rent em to you by the day.  A couple hundred bucks a day on average… give or take.  But you gotta have your own gear, or it’s extra if you don’t.  As has been mentioned, it’s pricey, but if you’ve never done it, it’s a relatively cheap way(compared to purchasing your own sled), to see if you like it.  As others have said, the new modern sleds are amazing, and have come so far. It’s a great winter sport/hobby. 

I did a day while in Banff decades ago. All day above tree line in feet and feet of snow, it was way over our heads so we had to be careful not to fall off our sleds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Cold and dry after tomorrows snower isn’t what the Dr ordered unfortunately. Maybe a clipper pops up .

Unlike others I am bullish on how this season is evolving.  We are going to nickle and dime and cold for a while then it's action time. I think some are going to be surprised. JMHO

• Like 4

• Ginx snewx changed the title to Arctic cold sticks around for the foreseeable future. Nickles and dimes turn into Benjamin's. Patience Grasshoppers.
The new rate is reflected in the current chart at .22 kwh. It was .18 last month so it did jump substantially but will still save you a fortune over propane. 
You have a Mitsubishi heat pump right? 
The huge benefit with heat pumps people don't realize is in addition to powering them with renewable energy, electricity prices are extremely stable compared to oil/gas/propane. In most states electric rates are heavily state regulated and adjusted in price on Jan 1st and June 1st. I'm on solar but if I had to buy the electricity to run my heat pumps my fuel price would be the same until June 1st. 
Thankfully our house is very energy efficient and while we have two heat pumps we only use them in summer. We have on demand baxi propane boiler for the radiant heat plus woodstove and South facing house. Our heating costs have avg ~600/yr last 10yrs

• Ginx snewx changed the title to Arctic cold and new threat emerges for the 26th. Patience Grasshoppers.
  • ORH_wxman unpinned this topic