Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

10 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

Roads were pretty dicey back to Swanton from Wisp, lots of drifting. Had to go the back way around north glade road because a bunch of cars ended up in the ditch near Red Barn Inn. Hoping 219 North to 68 is a little better. 

That’s a nasty curve on a sunny day.  My place is a half mile up N Glade from there.

What an awesome and memorable storm this ended up being out here in the Shenandoah Valley. One of the higher impact events we've had in a while. I have a very distinct memory from my childhood of being able to walk on top of the snow without breaking through whatsoever and it was really cool watching my kids do just that today and even I can in places at almost 200lbs. It's like a glacier out there! 

20220117_161810_copy_1612x1209.jpg

• Like 6

Was able to make it to Harrisonburg, VA yesterday to stay overnight. Yesterday at around 3pm it was 14 degrees and the snow was almost whiteout conditions at times. We made it to Harrisonburg, VA at about 4pm. Lots of cars on the side of the road. We stopped off to get some groceries for the hotel. There was a good 3-4 inches on the roads in town. I forgot to bring my ruler to measure the snow at the end. But I'd say anywhere from 6 to 8 inches. I was hoping for a foot. But we started getting pingers at the end. 

The pic is from the jeep on I-81 at 3:30pm about 13 miles north of Harrisonburg, VA. 

IMG_0305.JPG

• Like 7

4 hours ago, DDweatherman said:

18” or so as the current total near McHenry. Visibility is way up, still windy but snow has lightened up considerably. Was a blitz the last 6 hours for sure. 

Yeah, actually had an hour or two where snow stopped and sun broke through the clouds late this afternoon.  Winds picked back up the last two hours and back to SN/SN-.  Such an awesome storm.

I ended up going to both Wisp and Timberline today because I just couldn't help it. The snow actually calmed down early in the afternoon when I made my trip to Timberline, but then it got heavy again towards closing time, back to the way it was earlier in the day. But on my drive back the conditions weren't too bad.

Incredible day all around. I've never enjoyed as much fresh snow on any slopes as I did today. And Timberline has some fantastic glades, something you don't see very often on a mid-Atlantic hill. I'd have to say this event is an all timer for me when it comes to snow chases/ski trips, right alongside my trip to SNE in Feb 2013 when they were hit by a HECS. Now I need to head out west.

As for the town itself, it certainly has the look and feel of a near-HECS. Definitely a Garrett county classic.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I ended up going to both Wisp and Timberline today because I just couldn't help it. The snow actually calmed down early in the afternoon when I made my trip to Timberline, but then it got heavy again towards closing time, back to the way it was earlier in the day. But on my drive back the conditions weren't too bad.

Incredible day all around. I've never enjoyed as much fresh snow on any slopes as I did today. And Timberline has some fantastic glades, something you don't see very often on a mid-Atlantic hill. I'd have to say this event is an all timer for me when it comes to snow chases/ski trips, right alongside my trip to SNE in Feb 2013 when they were hit by a HECS. Now I need to head out west.

As for the town itself, it certainly has the look and feel of a near-HECS. Definitely a Garrett county classic.

Fozz, hows 219 looking? I’m over towards Glendale and Glade, and the roads just are not looking great right outside the development (which they kept up on with plowing). 

This was absolutely a classic storm for me out here, rivaled some of the fiercest conditions I’ve been in this morning. 

15 minutes ago, nj2va said:

@DDweatherman and @Fozz need to chase to Garrett County for every storm…y’all brought the mojo I guess and helped us boom even more than I thought we’d get here. :mapsnow::lol:

I actually might make trips out here more often if Carroll Valley isn’t going to get mashed. No doubt the mojo was here. 

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

Fozz, hows 219 looking? I’m over towards Glendale and Glade, and the roads just are not looking great right outside the development (which they kept up on with plowing). 

This was absolutely a classic storm for me out here, rivaled some of the fiercest conditions I’ve been in this morning. 

219 is alright, much better than it was in the afternoon.

Just now, DDweatherman said:

Earlier I heard things were awful when the bands were cranking. Whiteout conditions every few minutes. 

Oh yeah, the afternoon had brutal conditions, blowing snow, visibility of a few feet, and whiteout conditions especially in the open fields where blowing snow from massive drifts made it impossible to see ahead and was very disorienting. Even now the open fields are a bit treacherous, but not as bad as earlier.

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Oh yeah, the afternoon had brutal conditions, blowing snow, visibility of a few feet, and whiteout conditions especially in the open fields where blowing snow from massive drifts made it impossible to see ahead and was very disorienting. Even now the open fields are a bit treacherous, but not as bad as earlier.

Would agree, the field here made it impossible to see a few feet in front of us. Felt like I was in Watertown again.