Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

1 hour ago, WVsnowlover said:

Wise decision to not try to dive home today. Those back road heading out of there can be extremely treacherous. Tomorrow looks like a bluebird day with fresh powder from today's uplsope snow.

Yup. Life’s short. No need to risk making it any shorter. Just roll with it and enjoy it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

The webcams from whitegrass in Canaan valley are showing an absolute blizzard right now. 

Can confirm! I'm about three miles north of whitegrass and conditions have shockingly worsened (considering it was already a whiteout) over the past few hours.  Vis is maybe 50-75 yards.  I'll try to attach some pics in bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhatStorm said:

Snowing now for 24 hours in Blue Grass. Guesstimate 10-12" on ground. High today 28, low 16. High wind 39mph. Currently 21/16 with snow showers.

Yep, once the snow started here yesterday precip never stopped for 19 straight hours, sadly about 3-4 of those hours were a sleetfest knocking down totals. It was even snowing (and accumulating) with nothing showing on the radar last night. Final was 8.0 on 1.30 liquid, could have been in the 12+ range had it all stayed snow. 

Pure CO powder out there. If conditions are like this here with near blizzard conditions, I gotta imagine Jon Jon and Chris21 are getting hammered at Canaan with the higher elevation that cranks out the upslope even more. Such an awesome storm for the mountains.

Fozz is getting treated to ideal ski conditions right now — we decided to just chill at the house by the fire lol. A few pictures from outside shoveling a bit ago:
2f6760034cd2519b4ca698e5c0236f76.jpg

211ea29ef881013c15340374cb2b6bbb.jpg
99365bc2344931ed876063a28c09d213.jpg

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Pure CO powder out there. If conditions are like this here with near blizzard conditions, I gotta imagine Jon Jon and Chris21 are getting hammered at Canaan with the higher elevation that cranks out the upslope even more. Such an awesome storm for the mountains.

Fozz is getting treated to ideal ski conditions right now — we decided to just chill at the house by the fire lol. A few pictures from outside shoveling a bit ago:

The last two hours have been unreal conditions. Pure whiteout and S++ here

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

People have a hard time realizing just how easily it snows up there and how different that climate is.

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

People have a hard time realizing just how easily it snows up there and how different that climate is.

Man, learning that. Incredible conditions that I’ve really only seen in some of our best storms all time. Combo of 2/10/10 visibility and conditions with 2”+ an hour rates at times. 

7 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

i knew it was different based on the accumulating snizzle i experienced there several years ago.  literally did that for like 24 hours straight.

15 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Did some measurements and it looks like an average of 15-16 last hour. Of course it’s been cranking since. As long as we have this strong of W/NW flow, I expect these rates will continue through later today. 

12 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Did some measurements and it looks like an average of 15-16 last hour. Of course it’s been cranking since. As long as we have this strong of W/NW flow, I expect these rates will continue through later today. 

I’ll have to trust yours and mdhokie since its impossible to get reliable measurements with the wind.  I have 12” on the driveway but that’s after compaction and with the wind blowing it off to drifts on the side so that sounds about right.

20 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Yeah its literally another world here.  Friends visiting still are in awe when they cross the border into the county on 68 and conditions immediately change.