• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

I know the temp got up close to 40 and plenty of rain overnight. Of course all of you experts moaning how the snow would be washed away were wrong. Still complete coverage including pavement. I'm happy with the landscape. Two spotters have 3.5" for here which means I wasn't a lucky punk but I'm still happy with the results :)

• Like 3

Looks like some wraparound snow came through at some point as it looks like all the snow on hard surfaces was washed away by the rain and now I have a light dusting there. Was pleasantly surprised to see the trees coated and a solid coating on grassy surfaces seemed to survive the monsoon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I know the temp got up close to 40 and plenty of rain overnight. Of course all of you experts moaning how the snow would be washed away were wrong. Still complete coverage including pavement. I'm happy with the landscape. Two spotters have 3.5" for here which means I wasn't a lucky punk but I'm still happy with the results :)

My snow was washed away. I never cared about yours. B)

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Made it up to 33° for two hours overnight.  Now back below freezing here.  Barometer bottomed out at 29.01”

What were you able to measure? 

Really tough to get an accurate # .

I was going with 3.5 but we added another half inch this morning so I was going to go with 4 but it's hard to say exactly.

21 this morning out in Swanton, heavy snow right now and some wraparound moving in. Going to go out and measure in a bit, but it’s definitely adding up again since the WAA batch. Pretty bullish on a big day of upslope that could bring totals up to 15”+ 

Winds are gusting to 40-45+ routinely and it feels like a blizzard out there. Some drifting in the driveway at least 3-4’ high

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Looks like some wraparound snow came through at some point as it looks like all the snow on hard surfaces was washed away by the rain and now I have a light dusting there. Was pleasantly surprised to see the trees coated and a solid coating on grassy surfaces seemed to survive the monsoon.

I still have some slush under the fresh snow, at least in most spots.

55 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Looks like you got a new dusting

Yup, 31 with a few flurries.

8 minutes ago, arlwx said:

This is totally silly.

DCA 12.1

BWI 11.8

IAD 10.2

And it's only MLK day...

At least RIC is semi-behaving at 3 inches so far...

Not as terrible of a winter as I expected.

10 minutes ago, arlwx said:

This is totally silly.

DCA 12.1

BWI 11.8

IAD 10.2

And it's only MLK day...

Let’s stay on this nice run. In the last 35 yrs, BWI averages 200% of normal when it gets AN snowfall. Only 54% of normal when getting BN snowfall. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, arlwx said:

This is totally silly.

DCA 12.1

BWI 11.8

IAD 10.2

And it's only MLK day...

IAD beating out all the other airports with heat last year. So it only makes sense that DCA would beat out all the other airports with snow this winter. ;)

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Absolute glacier out here. Got maybe a 1/4” of freezing rain on top. Temp never got to freezing.

Maybe a tenth of zrain on trees probably 1/2 of sleet and I really haven’t done an accurate measure and hard to do now since I didn’t measure last night. I’m going with 6 inches though (Frederick county va. not Owings mills) 

So far the skiing is an epic fail. All the high speed lifts are on wind hold. None of the expert terrain is accessible. Sitting in the lodge while kids play at kids world debating if it’s worth waiting in hopes the wind dies and they open. Talked to a ski patrol and didn’t like the effusive way they avoided saying anything about prospects. Usually when they aren’t saying hopeful things that’s bad. 

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Potvinsux said:

Power finally back in Snowshoe.  Winds from the west now so snow no longer coming into sliding door and windows.  Brief lull overnight with a mix.  Snow is back.  Under a warning till tonight for an additional 4-8".  I would estimate 8-10" already but hard to tell.

20220117_085320_compress57.jpg

20220117_085303_compress52.jpg

How long was it out? It doesn’t go out when I’m there luckily. Last time was when someone hit a power pole.